Thursday, November 29, 2018

King and I (and Arta and Hebe and Catherine)

Credit: Matthew Murphy
Musical Theatre: King and I
Lincoln Centre's production of The King and I made it to the London Paladium, from where the last performance was taped and seen by us tonight.

Hebe was the star of the night, being probably 40 (and maybe 50) years younger than any one else in the theatre.

Besides that, this is the first movie she has been able to see from start to finish without having to leave.

And her second greatest fear of meeting someone on the subway that she knows happened tonight.

The teacher of the class of kids in wheel chairs was on the bus.  Dana jumped up and came over to talk to Hebe who was holding onto the centre pole on the leg of the trip from Lionel Groulx to Villa Maria:  that run of track when the train speed up, goes up and down hills, around corners and when there is jostling around the pole, even when no other bodies are present around it.

Hebe's smile couldn't have been warmer at being recognized and then getting into conversation.

As well, if Hebe could ask or answer 10 questions there was a cash reward.

The questions, in this case, have to be asked and answered by the person giving out the money.  But if there is a look of recognition that the answer is right, Hebe gets the points.

We heard beautiful voices, saw wonderful costumes and dancing, and I tried to remember why colonial attitudes once seemed normal to me.

Catherine asked me if I keep up my gruelling social schedule when I am back in Calgary. I have been going out every night or during the day.  I had to tell her yes. I keep it up at home. The only series I don't go to is anime.  I haven't developed a taste for that.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.