Friday, November 16, 2018

Met NT Live - Samson and Dalila

(Credit: Ken Howard / Metropolitan Opera)
All night I have been listening to Maria Callas sing "Printemps qui commence", probably just because I can.

But that perfect Maria Callas isn't the one who will take the role of Dalila tomorrow.

Not only am I am not familiar with this melody, I don't know the English for the lyrics though I do now:

The first of spring 
bringing hope 
to lovers' hearts 
your sigh rising 
above the earth blots out 
unhappy times. 
our soul afire 
and your sweet flame 
dries our tears. 
the soft mystery of you 
spreads the earth 
with fruit and flowers. 
no point in being pretty. 
my lovesick heart 
mourns for my betrayer 
but pines for his return. 
my desolate heart 
remembers 
lost happiness. 
as night falls 
sadly in love I wander 
to sit by the river 
and wait for him in tears 
driving away my sorrow 
if he come back one day 
I wish him my love 
and sweet intoxication 
may this burning love 
keep until his return.

I hope the translation is better tomorrow on screen.

I have also been refreshing my mind about the review in OperaWire.

I am no where as sophisticated as the readers of this review must be, for everything sounds just wonderful to me.  Not hitting a high B flat isn't earth-shattering, or even something to be mentioned by me.

Mary, Rhiannon and I are the only ones who can clear our schedules to see the show tomorrow.

Lucky us.

Arta

1 comment:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.