Tuesday, November 13, 2018

National Gallery - 3 new ideas for me

Banner from National Gallery Website
I have had the The National Gallery in my head for sometime now, knowing that I would be in Ottawa.

I signed up for a year’s membership today.

 I must go five times to recover the cost of that membership. That will be easy to do.

 Here are my top three items that I didn’t know about the gallery before today.

1. They have an audio guide that takes you through their European and Canadian collection. There are 15 ½ hours of information on the audio guide. Either you have to pick and choose what you want to listen to, or, go back a number of times to listen to all 15 hours -- which is what I plan to do.

2. There is a “Creative Event” every Thursday night in the Gallery. They bring in artists to demonstrate some of the techniques being used in the temporary exhibits, and then let people experiment with those techniques. This event starts at 6 pm Thursday night, which is the night that is free in the gallery – free after 5 pm. And there is no cost to attending or using the materials.  I don't think we will be going to these.  For us, it is an hour's drive home, which is too late to be getting home on a school night  Still, seems like fun.

3. There are stools just by the kiosk where I can rent the audio guides. Just take a stool off of the rack, use it and return it when I am through. I have been to the gallery before, but did not know that those were there.  I don’t know if it is better to use one of those stools, or a walker, which I presently get. At the group entrance are walkers, wheel chairs and scooters, all that can be used by people with differing abilities. What I can’t do is stand for 7 hours in a gallery anymore.

Thank you for the fun today, National Gallery.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.