Sunday, November 4, 2018

Gallery Series: Klimt / Schiele

'Sumptuous Line'
Gustav Klimt’s Study for 
The Dancer (Ria Munk II), 1916-17

I was idling planning the week tonight.

Seeing if there are any "not to be missed" shows.

I came across a review of the movie about the Klimt / Scheile exhibition at the Royal Academy, London, which closed February 3.

Here the exhibition is captured on screen for some of us.

Check  your local theatre.  In Calgary I can see this Wednesday night.

Both reviews are so gorgeously written that I am going back to study the reviews again tonight, as well as look at some of the images they show.

Arta

4 comments:

  1. Duncan and I went! What an amazing two hours of history (in art, and music, and philosophy and psychiatry!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to an amazing 2 hours of cross-disciplinary art. I have so much more to say about it. How did they do that! I don't know the name of the narrator of one sequence, but I do remember the screen had a note on it that said that he had the nobel prize in medicine? I can see why he was chosen. He had a charm in his comment on the man who documented having over 1,000 lovers.
    I think he tried to get the audience agree that such a man is an expert on women. And the other comment about a premature death -- just the imaginary slicing of his own throat with a cutting sound to accompany it from his own mouth. Oh my gosh, those funny moments often remain in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no kidding! we were laughing about that on the way home (the disjuncture between what he was saying, and the emotional load of it!)

      Delete
    2. and further, the Schille paintings were so powerful and disturbing. the soundtrack for the film was wonderful.

      Delete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.