Sunday, November 4, 2018

Online Sunday School – Week 45

Authors: Rena Point Boltn and Richard Daly
I have been concerned about the blog readings this week.

Sometimes there is a feeling of despair in me as I read, wondering to myself, “will things ever change?”.  The blog post Starlight Tours was specifically horrifying.

I was looking for some hope somewhere.

A post from Rebecca Johnson was encouraging.

She asked people to also think about some wonderful new Indigenous books that are available to us.

One such book is described in a post by Rebeccca entitled “Xwelíqwiya: The Life of a Stó:lō Matriarch”

This is not to say that the Online Sunday School won’t continue to read the University of Alberta blog as its text.

There is so much there, especially in the context of my asking, why didn't I know any of this about Canada's history before this.

Next week the on-line blog is promising to examine the question whether colonialism is still present in Canada.

I look forward to five days of thought on this subject.

Until then, I will enjoy re-reading Rebecca’s take on a good book to read.

Arta

P.S.  Remember to read along with us at the Online Sunday School, you can elect to receive daily alerts to the University of Alberta Faculty Law blog. Just email the words "add me" to reconciliactionyeg@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. i love going to your sunday school class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you for coming to class. In a previous life, you might have been a student who would have been walking the halls instead of sitting in class.

    For one note. For me, the shock of last week's Starlight Tours blogpost was probably because I know there is some tourism in the Arctic. Go out and see a polar bear.

    One of my German boarders was going on a tour to see the Northern lights. I couldn't figure out how it would be possible for the lights to happen on demand. But he was sure it was going to happen. I do remember seeing the Northern lights from the steps of my own house, but that viewing was always accidental.

    At any rate, having in the past been called "Star Woman" because I could name the stars as I was bedding down children on the beach, I was looking for a read on tourism and the beautiful heavens.

    I hate it that human beings would do to each other, such acts of violence as are described in that post. Well, that was last week in Online Sunday School. I have already pulled out my favourite sentence from this Monday's post: "Surely, it is not asking too much to remove a man's name from a school or neighbourhood, when he removed an entire people from their homes."

    Now there is an idea with a bite to it.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.