Monday, November 26, 2018

Online Sunday School Lesson 48

Noteworthy Indigenous Art and Culture Part II - Lesson 48

 I have been wondering if reading the blog has been pushing me to explore indigenous thought in different ways. On thinking about this week’s posts there have been many interesting places on the Internet that the bog has taken me.

Monday, the Indigenous artist celebrated was Sister Ray. I read the interview that was published with great interest. She says that music can help us celebrate sorrow as well as power. I went to the Internet to hear some of her work on you tube.

“The Daddies.”
Acrylic on canvas 60” x 112.5” (2016). I
mage retrieved from:
<www.kentmonkman.com/painting/2017/1/9/the-daddies>.
Tuesday, Kent Monkman was the Indigenous artist celebrated by the blog.

I saw a large body of his work in a large exhibition at the National Gallery, both paintings and installations a few years ago.

The first installation I saw was a tepee. (I am pretty sure I saw that at work in Montreal.)

The most memorable video I have seen was a nurse.

He played the main character – the nurse.

Wednesday Aaron Paquette as a local politician and representative for Ward 4 on Edmonton’s City Council was brought to my attention. He is as also a community based Indigenous artist.

Thursday, totem poles were studied as pieces that are among the most easily recognizable cultural symbols of the Pacific Northwest.

Friday was a celebration of the appointment of Honourable Judge Cheryl Arcand-Kootenay who became the first Treaty 6 woman to be appointed to the Provincial Court of Alberta on November 6, 2018.

And that is it for a another good week on the Faculty of Law, University of Alberta, Faculty Blog.

I hope you found as much enjoyment at following along this week, as I did.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. yes, what an interesting week! i got a chance to hear Kent Monkman speak at UVic last year (during the transgender archives conference). it was so so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Rebecca Jarvis said she is just getting ready to do an essay on Monkman, so I have been reading a bit more about him on the internet.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.