Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Klimt Schiele - a night at the movies


I have lots to say about the movie tonight, the show – "Klimt & Schiele – Eros and Psyche".

My theatre was full. I know a few of the regulars, but not by name.

The other hundred or so people just have the same interest as I do, so I felt as though I was among friends. Many gathered in the halls of the theatre afterward in quiet conversation. The thought crossed my mind, I should just see if I could join in on some, or at least get close enough to hear.

The movie was based on exhibitions in Vienna around the theme of Beauty and Abyss. I thought that the overall thesis of what I saw was that Vienna around 1900 was ornate and decorative, but covering emptiness and the artist of that time saw through this, thus the development of the movement called the Vienna Secession.

I was expecting the usual form of an art movie which is more like a trip through a gallery. So I was blown away by the form of the show, bringing in the musicians and the scientists in such close proximithy – Betthoven, Freud, Wager, etc.

Sometimes I felt as though the music was overpowering the visuals, the chords were so rich with beautiful harmonies.

I thought a lot on the way home about the tale of Schiele being in jail, that some charges were dropped, that the judge burned one of his paintings, that Sciele had been with what we would now consider an underaged girl. Artist’s flaw are often problematic to me as a viewer.

I loved the movie, if only for its rapid cuts, the challenge of putting it all together into one neat whole. Scene by scene. The directorial voice was ever present.  I didn't agree always, to where it was going.  Afterall, we are in 2018 now and some of Freud's theories were damaging to women for generations to come.  I don't think that should ever be glossed over while setting him on a pedestal, which he still deserves.

This week, whenever I had time I was out on the internet looking at some of the painting I thought I might see. Still, I was overwhelmed when I saw these visuals on the big screen – that wonderful detail and colour almost feels as though I am right there.

I have never been to Vienna. I had the feeling that I had been there when the evening was over, all of the shots of the buildings, the landscapes, the halls, the carriage going over a cobblestone street, the braiding of the horses tail, the sunlight, the darkened corners, machine rolling its wheels, picking out precious paintings that are kept in a vault. I read that due to their delicacy they will not see the light of day again for many years. Just wonderful to even see them this way, if not in the original.

Rebecca, I am sure you were there at the show. How was it for Duncan?

How did you like the closing sequence – preparing for a ball in modern Vienna? I had in my mind the opening sequence decrying artifice. I was conflicted. Did the movie close by demonstrating dance as authentic, as opposed to artifice, at least in Vienna.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. this was SUCH a lush movie. i agree with everything you said here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)

    There is a lot more to say, isn't there? In retrospect, I would like to linger on the paintings a bit more. But maybe it was better this way, for these paintings bring up more questions than they answer.

    Perhaps there will be a repeat.

    I can only hope. Marnie is playing tomorrow, a newly commissioned opera. I will be on the plane and miss it.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.