Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Riopelle, Chagall, Pollock and others

From temporary exhibit, Anthropocene

Today I saw Riopelle’s ‘Pavanne’ as well as heard a lecture on it. Mary said that piece is her favourite one in the National Gallery.

As well I saw ‘The Burning Bush’ which is the gallery’s most contentious purchase a few years ago at $1,700,000.

I also went to see the Chagall, the sale of which was in dispute a few months ago. The end of the story is that the gallery did not sell the Chagall and now it is on display, the story of the near sale being told on the wall nearby.

 I slipped over a couple of galleries to see three Klimt’s, just having seen the movie on Klimt and Scheile. I studied a Jackson Pollock piece for a long time and spent time in the temporary gallery entitled Anthropocene. I saw a Van Gogh ‘Water Lily’ and looked at a bust of Nietzsche commissioned by his sister after his death.

 I came home tired.
Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.