Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Can You Send Me a Quote

Dotral Pilling

From Laynie Hicks,

I want to share a story.

I was trying to figure out today what I was going to do on our holiday. Glen determined this morning that we were unable to burn piles on our lot. Not only am I here at the lake to celebrate my Dad’s retirement, spend time with my kids on spring break, enjoy the beautiful lake, but am also here to take steps on our dream of building a house on our lot. What Grandpa wanted us to be able to do.

Graham and I finalized our building plans and are now at a stage where we can request quotes from General Contractor’s (GC’s) to build to ““lock up”. I decided today was going to be the day that I was going to make some calls to local GC’s.

I started with Timberline Solutions Ltd. They were happy to take my call and receive our drawings. They will be sending a quote. My next call was to a company called Green Emerald Construction. I was so pleased that another person decided to answer my phone call as I had been warned that builders are really busy right now. This very friendly voice said “hello”. I went into my introduction. My name, I have plans for a house, want a price, yada, yada, yarda… .   The gentleman asked me where I was building. I said Annis Bay. He explains to me that he used to play with friends on the bay. He then went on to ask me where I was located. I said I was on the “other side”. He says, “oh the Pillings”.  I remain silent.

The man I was speaking with goes on to ask me if I know any of the older Pillings. 

 I say “Yes”. 

 He says “who”.  

I am reluctant to say Earl. I think a good place to start is with Doral’s name. He say “yes” that was him. I said “That was my Grandpa, my Dad is his youngest son. 

 He says “I have a story about your Grandpa”. So I listen.

“In my early 20’s, my friends and I were on a houseboat. We were travelling along the lake close to a beach and we were drinking beer, having a great time. We came across a boat, what looked to be an abandoned boat. It had moss in it and some holes. We took the boat with us by strapping it to the back of the houseboat. When we returned to Sicamous we were met by the police. They charged me and my friends with theft.

When it came time to go to court I was the only one that showed up. The reason I showed up is because the Judge lived a few doors down from me and he knew my family. When I showed up to court I was put in a room with your Grandpa, Doral Pilling. I told your Grandpa the story about my friends and  me taking the boat. He listened and then explained that he used to fall asleep in that boat and would hit rocks all the time, which is why there were holes. Ultimately your Grandpa dropped the charges. He was a really nice man.”

I told Gary Arsenault that this story would make me smile forever. I thanked him for it and then said ,“Can you send me a quote”?

If you feel this is bloggable please share.

Laynie Hicks

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this story. I am assuming that the boat was a fishing boat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I feel speechless. That is an awesome and intense story. I love that he got to plead his case before Doral rather than a court judge. The story fits with the grandpa I knew. He let the young man explain himself. He shared his perspective. He took the situation seriously. He also spent a lot of time supporting youth to do their best, to learn from the past, and to move forward in a good way. I loved my grandpa. I love that you are doing just what he would have wanted you to do. Enjoy the land.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.