Saturday, March 13, 2021

Happy 20th Birthday, Duncan

Duncan has a familiar truth about his birthday.

His mother either forgets about it, or is it away at a conference for the day.

He has few memories of being able to celebrate that day with her.

I remind him that he is just lucky she was there in the first place. 

... the Dairy Queen Special ...
He laughs but he tells me that is not enough.

He is a good party person to have around.

I began to acknowledge his birthday 1 day previous to the event.

By March 4th I had a sign up on the wall, reminding him that I was thinking of him on his birthday.

He brought me over to the sign and just told me that he accepted my good wishes but that his birthday wouldn't be until the next day.

He's not a person who has really definite party ideas.

Anything is good for him.

His dad asked him what kind of entree, what kind of birthday cake, what kind of present do you want.

About 3 weeks before Duncan's birthday, Steve was asking him what he wanted for a present so that it could be ordered online and here in time.

What's the front of a birthday present if it hasn't arrived, he reasoned.

Pizza was the entree.

Plenty of it.

He has so many allergies, it has become the custom for him to have an ice cream cake for his birthday. 

Rebecca picked up a large Dairy Queen Cake on the way home from an appointment.

Large.

After all it was his 20th birthday.

Stacy and Felix made a birthday cake in the form of a leather bound book, leather hinges, the cover bejeweled with glass candies they had made to themselves.
The faux leather hinges (icing are on 
the left side of the cake. 
The jewels are o the top and bottom. 
I looked closed at them -- yes made from the sucker recipe. 
You can see the gray pages of the manuscript
on the bottom of the cake
and it is hidden in this view, but apparent
when looking from the right side of the cake. 

Inventive

Pretty impressive.

Another friend brought over a German torte, a Sachertorte.

I spent more time cutting just one more sliver off of that cake than good for my health.

A good day for Duncan, a good day for me.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.