Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The Fungus Finder Club

The first club I belonged to was called "The Secret Agent Club." I'm afraid the club name had more to do with the available paper for crafts in Tracy Appleton's home that day than the purpose of the club. 

S.A.C letters were carefully printed into a paper sac, the type in which you may have taken your lunch to school. We were in grade 2 perhaps. We planned to make two flags, but I think we got tired after getting one done. There was going to be a system when the flag would be in a window to signal a meeting was to be held. No meetings were ever held, but the planning and dreaming was grande.

I was recently invited into a club by a friend. It is called the Fungus Finder Club. The club was developed and named on a Fall walk of a mother and her daughter. The club activities consisted of spotting a fungus, naming it if you know the name, if not then creating a name for it.

Here are the mushrooms I saw on a walk with my own mother that same month. My photos are what gained me a Fungus Finder Club invitation.

Happy St Patrick's Day for those reading the blog. If you decide to saute some mushrooms up for dinner, may the luck of the Irish be with you. 

Signed,

One braver at finding than trying new mushrooms.

~ Bonnie Wyora Johnson














2 comments:

  1. Whenever my camera is aimed at the ruffles, the scolling, the fluting, the sheen on the mushrooms, fabric comes to mind. I am intrigued, imagining what kind of skirt I could make with the shapes and colours found in nature. I am never one to think about eating mushrooms from nature.

    I am sure it is OK to give mushrooms names. Afterall, they don't know their own names, Latin or the vernacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just beautiful photos. And the green is so luscious. Especially when everything in Lethbridge is so brown and dead at the moment (as it should be for this time of year). Can't wait to get back to that shuswap green.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.