Tuesday, March 23, 2021

On Giving Blood

In Victoria we do many spontaneous recipes,
some of which maybe should never be done
again.  Here Alex tried to make cookie crumbs
by cooking the Costco frozen chocolate chip 
cookies on a frying pan with some oil.  There is
a slight undertone of BBQ-ed chocolate to these 
cookies crumbs.  A success, depending  on what
a person's goal is.
I was at the hospital 10 days ago, having tests, and giving blood.

The very last act was to hear the results and to give one more blood test.

I waited for about a half an hour and then was ushered into one of the waiting rooms so I could wait for both the doctor, for the technician, who came in and wanted to take blood from my right arm.

I rolled up my sleeve.

There was a rubber tubing around my arm put there some blood samples before and which he quickly removed.

I had given blood from both arms many times in the afternoon, both the right and the left.

Now I have an indication as to what happens when that tensor is left on for the afternoon as opposed to when it's taken off, a small amount of pressure applied, and then it would seem that the wound would stop bleeding.

I have a nice sized lump on the right arm, and barely a pinprick on the left.

Not the worst thing that could happen in a hospital common, nor the weirdest, but surely the one I will remember.

Divine:  Chocolate cookie crumbs
under vanilla, caramel swirl.
Since a number of people had been involved in taking blood I had begun the game of learning the name of all of the technicians I was meeting.

I have finally learned the names of all of the technician and when one came again, I said, “It is nice to meet you, I remember your name, and I hope I see you again.”

He laughed and said, “I can’t say the same for you. It is better that you never get sick again, and so never have to come here and meet me.”

Now that did make me laugh.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. I live the line about him *quickly* removing the rubbing tubing from an earlier blood draw. That adjective said all. Too funny.

    At a recent lab visit for me the phlebotomist had a chalk board with a count down. Two more days until retirement. She said they are called lab technicians now-a-days. A shame. Phlebotomist is such a fun word to say.

    I loved your blog post. My first thought was that the chocolate cookie crumbs were a different sample one might take to a health clinic lab. Lots of iron, I wondered?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is as good written up as it was hearing it in person.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.