Sunday, March 21, 2021

Three Peas in a Pod




On a trail in TsĂștswecw, from a tree I cannot yet identify, hang these seed clusters waiting for just the right conditions to being their next adventure. Marla, me, and Julie stopped to study them. We looked to Julie for their name. Catkins of some type, I believe she replied. It was a new word to me, so I may need some more input to get the word to take root in my mind.

Marla pointed to a cluster of three in a row. What a great eye. It seemed so fitting given our own numbers. I had my phone in hand, but asked for her artistic advice on how to frame the catkins. Her reply was, "I'd go with gut instinct."   She gifted me with trust and respect, a fitting present for re-gifting, I think.

~

It's not easy for three mothers to dedicate a whole day away from hearth and home, but our tradition began around 10 years ago. It happens three times a year whether we feel we can get away from other responsibilities or not. The dates for these outings allow for a margin or error +/- a week, more if must be, but we try to aim for March 18, Oct 11, and Nov 11.

Marla's 42nd birthday celebration was to include a hike and a picnic. As the day neared, we kept watch on the weather. The forecast? 40% chance of rain by afternoon, with a projected precipitation of .1 mm. We each brought a rain jacket just in case.



We picked up the food for our picnic at Quaaout Lodge. This was my first time to the south shore of Little Shuswap Lake. We saved our lunch for mid-June. While we waited for the chef to prepare our food, we started with dessert - chocolate cup cakes with butter cream icing made by Julie and her daughter Bea.


Our picnic spot mid-hike looked out over the river. I tried to get a photo of a duck on the river, but it was too quick for me.


There were a few other groups of people out in the trail. Some waist high in hip waters trying their hand at fly fishing, a family on bicycles, those we walking their dogs, and even one lone individual taking a dip in the icy spring waters for its health benefits.


Although the clouds over the Talking Rock Golf course looked ominous, our hike began rain-free, and the rain did not begin to fall until we were with 200 meters of our car on our return portion of the walk.




















Thus endeth today's tale of three friends who can look forward to many more adventures.


2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the lowering clouds, just not the idea, but their reality. And I hope that the person who took a dip in the water for health benefits, really got that help. And I, too, have taken pictures of ducks that escaped by camera's eye. Thank you for letting me join you on your walk.

    I can almost taste the butter cream icing of cupcakes of the cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dare I admit that I recent skinny dipped in a natural hotspring outside of Fairmont? Leo and I had no audience though. I don't think I would have stripped down in front of strangers for that one.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.