Tuesday, March 2, 2021

An Evening of Marvel Entertainment

... the twins, Billy and Tommy, in WandaVision ...

 Billy's powers included flight, reality-warping, telekinesis,
telepathy,electrokinesis, force fields,
teleportation and astral projection. ...

Amazing!
I read an essay in The New Yorker (Feb 15, 29021) called “Who Really Created the Marvel Universe”. 

I wanted to get a handle on the series, WandaVision

Over the years I've never really followed the Marvel comic books. 

I feel that my job has been more to pick them up off the floor of the rooms of other people and put them back in the comic box.

I was more interested in Archie and Veronica when I was a comic book reader.

Still, I read this article, hoping to gather information about Marvel Comic Book Lovers, on what it is that appeals to them. This is relevant to me now, because Duncan is interested in the new series shown on Disney: WandaVision.

To do this, Rebecca and I join Duncan at the biggest screen we have in the house, and there we watch an episode or two – trying to recreate all of the environment of being in a movie house. The room darkens. Everyone has a Coke in their hand, The electric heater is on. All have a warm blanket to ward off any chill in the room. What the theatre can’t provide, this house can: a loving dog on someone’s lap. What's going on in the films is curious to me, since I'm not sure how to read all of the tropes, and oh, I don't have a lot of background about who these characters are, having missed reading about them in my youth and young adulthood. Neither, it would seem, does Duncan know what will happen next, for he is gasps as much as I when the plot shifts.

We watched another episode last night: the twins were born in the episode the night before. Now I see we are watching them grow in spurts as the charming saying goes.

And I'm becoming quite interested and how this is going down. I read reviews that say this might be the last in the series. Isn't that kind of information that producers use to get the audience to hold their breath and how long a series will last.

I think the best that can be said is that for me it's good to get out of the genres I love and to explore what's interesting in the viewing world of others.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.