Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Happy Birthday, Mother

... Wyora and her son, Earl ...

Yes, it is my mother's birthday on March 8th.  Wyora shares the date with International Women's Day.  Wyona asked for some stories about her. Below, I have listed some that were written previously and now hidden in the years of the family blog. 

I tried to pick out posts where Wyora is the main protagonist. Doral sometimes gets in the way.   She had both a private and a public charitable face.  He was the quiet, supportive companion in those times.   But it is hard for him not to pop out and add some fun.

Any COMMENTS in the box below will be read with joy and responded to, 

If anyone sends me an email on the subject of my mother's birthday, I shall consider it fair game for blogging unless it carries the hashtag #notforblogging.

 Too many stories to read, and will they give you a taste of her life?

I hope so.

Happy Birthday, Wyora.  You would have been 107 on March 8th.

Vignettes about Wyora.  

2 comments:

  1. I carry no memories of time spent with my Grandmother Wyora. I know from old photos and stories that I played near her bed as cancer ran it's course in her body. Yet somehow I feel like I did know her. Perhaps because my grandfather Doral played a large role in my life, and his name was often paired with hers, Doral and Wyora, in stories long after they had said their goodbyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten that you were just a baby, two years old when Wyora died. Since you jogged my memory that Wyora's name often had Doral's connected to it, I wondered if that went the other way -- if Doral's had her's connected. So I went to his life story and there she is, on p 59 (they meet), 75-88 (their married life and p 198 - 119 (she dies). And yes, I had to re-read the pages, since I opened them up.

    What a treasure, when someone leaves pages about their life, as Doral did. And if you go to the tapes you can hear him read his story. How is that for double amazing. Doral was 69 when the tapes were made. He wrote his life story earlier than that.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.