Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Proof that there is a sunny beach

Shady Beach
Bonnie sent me 3 pictures, proof that when the sun shines on the Ramp Camp, there is shade at the Shady Beach.

As you look at the pictures, I will just chat.

As Bonnie, Glen and I were working on the Shady Camp (that would be gathering the brush and putting it on a tarp so that Glen could carry it down to the burn pile) I stopped at a large area of ash from a former fire pit. 

I asked Glen what I was to do with this ash, since it is right on the path, and while adults go around the ash, children step in it, and the curious ones stop and stomp in it.

He said that he was thinking of putting it in a wheel barrow and then digging a large hole and dumping it in the ash hole.

long shot of Shady Beach
Glen's head is just to the left of the Douglas Fir that towers in the middle of this picture
That made Bonnie and Glen laugh. 

I was focused on the literal way of getting that trash away and didn't know why they were laughing. 

He said it was a reference to an old joke that Doral used to tell.

Now a couple of times I have heard Glen tell another old joke of Doral's which I remember. 

The second joke of Dora's which Glen has referenced a couple of times this week goes like this:what is it that men do standing up, women do sitting down and dogs do on three legs? 

Ramp Camp (Sunny Beach)
Ah, sweet blistering sun at the Ramp Camp
Sun all the way down
There is a long pause.

Few people will take a guess at the answer to this joke, the answer to which you will find at the bottom of the page.

The other joke around the clean-up here is how do you catch an elephant? 

The answer is, dig a large hole, build a big fire in it, wait until the fire dies down and there are plenty of ashes there, and then an elephant will come along and look down.  At that point, kick the elephant in the ash hole.

A potty mouth humour joke. 

I know.

One I would hardly share with my grandchildren. 

And I don't even remember Doral telling that one, but Glen does.

Well, now I have chatted enough that  you can see the difference in shade between pictures 1 and 2 (Shady Beach) and picture 3, Ramp Camp, all pictures taken at the same time of day. 

Two very shady spaces, and one brilliant with sun, since it is taken just after crossing the railroad track and before descending that small road to the beach. 

Look how much sun there is on the road, and by extension the beach below the road which only barely shows up for those who can spot the concrete ramp.  The people are the beach are only blurry figures.  The sun is shinning everywhere -- no shade.  No shade under the old apple tree and that little cherry tree on the right has barely taken off with its rooting.

Well, I am at the bottom of the page now, so ... the answer to what is it the men do standing up, women do sitting down and dogs do on three legs is .... shake hands.

Such a bad joke.

Arta





4 comments:

  1. Great joke. Do men still stand up to shake a womans hand? Maybe that custom has gone the way of so many others in our modern world. Are we taking turns at the shady beach in order to dissuade the sicamousians from decamping there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stand up to shake a woman's hand, and take their hat off in an elevator when a woman enters. Two of the old rules of etiquette. I think the rule of standing up is pretty standard when you are introduced to a woman, though maybe not.

    Uncle Greg said that Glen wants a schedule of who will be down there on the next two weekends. Then Greg laughed and said, that was just a joke. But there is a grain of truth in it. A stunning spot now, but it has to be manned. Miranda says her kids are good for early morning and late evening, but this Sunday it is to be 36 degrees of heat down there. I can go but I will definitely have to wear my biggest hat (2 foot circumference) and take my lounge chair for my afternoon nap. No more sleeping on the gravel if I can have my chair down there.

    Miranda wants a schedule, but hers will be of when people are taking their children down there. She is either coming up as a family is going down, or she is going down as a family is coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, we will take our turns when we are out there. I'm thinking we will spend alternating days at the beach, with the days between for excursions. We are having a "family meeting" tomorrow to look at the proposed off-site activities during our visit, and will be selecting a half-dozen or so. One which seems popular is a walk along the old Sicamous Road, followed by a visit to D Dutchmen Dairy for ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos and memories. Feel like I am there.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.