Tuesday, July 17, 2018

What is going on in the cabin?

In a phone call from Doral, he reminded me that if I don't send pictures of the work that is going on, then he won't know what it is that Miranda and Richard have done.

Fair enough.

I took some pictures of ongoing work, so reader be cautioned.  Now might be the time to just move on to another post. Essentially, this is written for Mary, Doral, Anita and Catherine who have asked about the progress on the cabin..

I think I would be curious too, if I weren't here and watching it done everyday.

So here are my pictures from the morning, in random order, with what I think is going on in each picture.

Miranda has taken the cupboard doors off of the kitchen and sanded them.  She told me I could take a picture of those doors as well, but they are downstairs.  Maybe tomorrow.  For right now, notice she has also sanded the framework, getting ready to get the cupboard doors back on.  The stove is gone.  She wants an outdoor kitchen (I have yet to google that concept, but will.)  Miranda has some shelves to install where the stove was previously.

You are looking at the drawers from the kitchen on the left, and the old cedar table, which Richard sanded.  This picture has not been staged.  Nor have any of the pictures you will see.  I just thought it was better to give you the real truth. On the table are the Jenga Blocks, the dominos and a deck of cards Betty was playing with.

Here is the second cedar table.  Again, it has been sanded as well.  I don't know if the holes will get filler, or if the stain and coating will just be put on as is.  

Glen, Laynie and Connor said that they want to be invited over for the first game of "Quarters" on this table, for this is the table where that game was played the most for them.  Right now it is holding tools, screws and some cleaning products.  There is a white garment hanger on the right side of the photo against the wall, and you are also seeing just a bit of lampshade on the upper right hand corner.  Apologies again for a picture not that well thought out.

Ah, the bathroom, the blessed bathroom.  You are looking at two of the marvellous joys.  The first one is that there is cold running water to the bathroom.  The second is that a toilet has been installed, and had it maiden voyage as far as flushing is concerned.  We have all tried a flush.  Just a practise, since it is hard to believe this working.  The bathroom was the spot Richard did not want to tackle.  Now we all look on it with great joy.

Bedroom on lake side.  Miranda has already put up a double twin bed here.  This is compliments of Trish and Jack who sold their place in Sicamous and offer many of the contents of that condo to Richard and Miranda.

I have been trying to level the ground in front of the house.  Richard didn't want a deck.  There is a high cost and a lot of maintenance involved.  So the area that was under the deck is going to be grassed in.  This was a disappointment to me.  I don't like change.  But I am getting used to the idea of having grass in the front yard.  Many people do have a front yard full of grass.  The area can be mowed.  And it will be lovely to sit at a table out here, or on lawn chairs and watch the children play in the shade of the trees that are between the house and the lake. Now I am becoming accustomed to the idea of having grass out here.


These are the new steps.  There are no railings which might be an issue for some.  You see four steps and on the bottom one is a tarp purchased for me to move twigs on.  By my good luck, I found to old and shredded ones that can still do that job, so I will save the good one for later.

Another bedroom that has a new mattress waiting to be put up.

Another bedroom with mattresses.

Richard uncovered the stones that were outside of the cement patio in the back.  It is hard for us not to keep picking away at them to see if another one will surface.  Bonnie found just one more.  Richard bought a special tool that scraped the dirt and grass away to reveal these treasures.

The view from the bathroom window.  Just thought you would like to remember it, for anyone who ever opened that window up.  I suppose we will eventually pull the frosted glass back over the window, but it is good to see that apple tree outside when checking out the plumbing in the bathroom.  For right now, when the bathroom isn't in use, why not enjoy the view.

Under the sink in the kitchen.  The place where Richard had crawled to make the last tightening on the faucet to make sure it was straight. A pair of rubber gloves can be seen, ready to go to work.

There have been two overwhelming moments so far.

One is when the lights went on in the cabin.

The second was when water was re-established to the cabin.

And there was great rejoicing on the land!


Corner cupboard in the kitchen.  I have no idea how the tea kettle got there.  There is a job ahead to go through the appliances and see what is already in the cabin and what needs to be purchased.  My guess is that this will be a "purchase as needed" job.


The beautiful new stainless steel fridge.  Capacity is small.  Be ready to have to eat up everything that is cooked each day.  No room for left-overs.


The fireplace.
Doral said he was going to think about checking out getting  an inset.  Many other people have made the same suggestion, including Glen again today.  The landscaping crew stopped in to get a drink of water.  We don't have a cup by the tap yet.  The crew were overjoyed to see the cabin.  Floods of memories came back to them.  As well, they did big wow's to the kitchen, to the cedar tables, to the roof that doesn't leak, to loving the big picture windows, but I think it was that old familiar smell of cedar that was the highest on the list of "things-I-love" about this space.

Stuff from Trish and Jack.
Though not that yellow ribbon of a tape measure.  This measuring tape is not of much value, Betty, I am sure, pulled it until it broke.

A mess of electrical chords on the floor, just to let you know, we are still in the midst of jobs that need electricity.

A difficult image?
This is the picture of the cabin, painted by Wyona, and now framed and given to the Richard as a gift. You are seeing it hanging on the wall, the south wall of the cabin. I think I can see the picture, and then in the glass, the image of the real outside, table in front and picture windows behind.

The cedar table, now devoid of toys.

I got it backward.  I cleaned after taking pics, not before.
Doral, if you read this and want to see more pictures, just give me a call or leave a note in the comment box of this post.
The same to anyone else.
Was this enough for you, Mary?

Arta

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you. These literally made me cry with joy. Joy that this space is being used, joy that I am not the one that has to do all the work to make it usable. Joy at the memories of my precious time spent in this space, and the times I will be there again. Joy that Richad's little ones of there. That all the second cousins can spend time together there. I wish I could be there for the first game of quarters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here, here! (or is that hear, hear?)

    i can almost smell the cedar myself!

    the wyona painting reflecting the view from the outside?! that is hysterical.

    Richard, Miranda, Doral and Anita? you guys. i adore you for taking the leap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The transformation is awe inspiring. We should have taken pictures before all the work miranda and richard have done as it would show what a stark contrast there is with all the changes. Im looking forward to sitting inder the hammock trees and enjoying the lake views.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.