Thursday, July 26, 2018

The Cabinets

... my long shot of the cabinets ...
... my close up of the cabinets ...
Alice's purse
I knotted the top to shorten the strap for her.
Miranda moved the folding tables into the garage, laid out the cabin cabinets, stained them front and back and is waiting until tomorrow to put on the last coat which will take 24 hours to dry.

I am sorry that so much work can be compressed into one sentence.

As for me, I remain obsessed with watering the new grass and clearing the brush from the play area.

I think what is driving me is that I believe Richard will take the tree limbs I have been putting in a pile, and take them down to the burn area.

I want to get as much as I can into the burn pile.

But if that were true I would work faster on the big items and leave the little ones behind.

Instead,  I pull on an Oregon Grape plant, and then decide to find the mother root and end up pulling long roots out of the ground … like chasing something down a rabbit hole.

Still I am happy and persist.

I told Miranda today that I am having so much fun with her children.

Betty is malleable when it comes to singing. If I pull out the Sally Go Round the Sun book she will sit and sing, longer than I have time to do that task.

Still I sit and sing.

I am accustomed to having a piano nearby.

Failing that, the Solfah method is still available to me.

Thank goodness I haven’t forgotten that.

No songs in this book ever change key so I keep learning new ones. She will sing forever. Sweet.
... Alice on the rope swing ...
Michael and Betty waiting behind for their turns

... my heart is always in my mouth when they swing out ...

When I was at the thrift store in the spring, I saw a rattan purse with beads on the chorded strap.

I wondered if a little girl would like to carry this around. I hung a small stuffie on the zipper. Alice walks around with the purse on her shoulder so many times that I feel embarrassed that I didn’t spend more for it.

I looked in the purse tonight.

What I saw really made me laugh: sun glasses, a ball point pen shaped like a carrot, a balloon, some jewellery she bought at the dollar store, a small container of hand lotion that Kalina gave her for her birthday, a bumble bee finger puppet and some Kleenex.

Curious what is precious to a child. Tonight she saw a yellow silk Chinese change purse that was in my jewellery chest. First she asked me how to open and close it.  Then she asked for it. Why would I say no.  I thought it would go in her purse, but no, she put it in her jewellery chest.  No real concept about money yet.

When I tell Michael that he must keep his foot
in the loop at the end of the yellow rope,
he launches with it there
and then takes it out as he swings.

Oh well.
That is about my day, Doral. I couldn’t decouple the hoses. 

I have three hoses strung together to make it over to your cabin.

But that takes up my only outlet and I can't get to my own flower beds.

 I need some water to the compost as well.

I came to the realization that you have water on your own lot – running water. I am going to hook two of the hoses up there and use the third to start soaking the ground around my perennials.

I am having the good life.

Arta

6 comments:

  1. That is something I would have done as well ... forgetting that water is available on lot 4.

    The kids look like they're having a great time with that rope! What tree are they swinging from? That's not down at the beach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I am accustomed to the old look of the cabinets, so every time my eyes pass over them, I am surprised. It will really look like a brand new kitchen.

      Delete
  3. On watering: I have a double hose hooked up now on Lot 4. Alice had a turn to water tonight. This was her first time holding the nozzle. I will only let them put it on the "shower" option while they are spraying. But then Michael has discovered that if you spray "jet" high in the air it comes down like rain, so I let him use that option. Just to finish off, there is vertical, flat, mist and soak for options as well. I don't know if they like going around the nozzle and hearing the clicks, or if they just like to see the variety of what they can do. At any rate, they think they are experts. I am always there saying, too much force on the little plants, no watering the roof to see how the water drops from it, no spraying the cedar cabin and no spraying the windows that your parents have just shined. None of my no's work that well.

    As to the rope? Yes, it is hanging down at the beach. It is hanging from a limb of a Douglas Fir that is on the grassy side of the Shady Camp. You can swing out over the beach. Tonight Aiden, Moiya's grandson, told me that it would have been better if it swung out over the water. The rope will probably do that at high water, but not now that the water is receding. The rope will hold the weight of an adult, at least the weight of the four adults who have tried it: Glen, Tim, Bonnie and Zoe.

    Try it when you come. You might like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on how my foot is doing, but sounds like fun!

      Delete
    2. Ha ha. Go ahead. Take a try on the yellow swinging rope. I will be the one who spots you. If you go down, it will be the two of us together. Can't think of a better way to go out.

      Delete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.