Tuesday, July 24, 2018

The Cabin on Lot 4

... playing in the new cabin ...
July 24, 2018

In the spirit of continuing to report on what is going on in the Johnson Cabin, tonight there is a sleep-over in the cabin.

Miranda left my house with 3 children, 4 art books and some pencil crayons.

The children are keeping journals by drawing a picture every night of something that happened in their day.

I walked over with them to water the new grass again.

I was thinking of getting down on the ground and looking at that space from a side view instead of down on it, for Glen showed me that by doing this, you can see the beginnings of seeds as that first little piece of green pokes up through the ground.

Then I thought a big no. Too hard for me to get up and besides, the ground was already wet so why would I do that. As I put the hose down, Alice knocked on the window from the cabin and then came out on the porch. “Grandmother, you are getting water on our windows.”

... the look of the unfinished kitchen ...
... another small miracle ...
“Thanks, Alice. I will keep the hose lower tomorrow.”

“Hey, look at the green. You have grass!”

Well, that was a surprise to me.

She was right.

There is a gentle wash of green over the clay and sand. I have been focused on the large pebbles and small stones that I didn’t remove from the area.  I could only see the small bits of paper and the twigs that I didn’t remove, and on the quack grass growing.

I didn’t see the green seedlings that are beginning to show through the earth.

My next task over at the Johnson Cabin is the  play area.  I want to take out the flowering dog wood and rake the lawn to pull off the debris that landed there when the larger trees were dragged out.

... fish caught by smaller nets and in a bucket ...
... these are also catch and release fish ...
On other notes, Miranda and her goslings go down to the lake early each morning, hoping to catch a fish. They have 2 fishing rods that can cast.

Dave Card and his son Caleb came for a 2 day visit.

Michael gave Caleb a turn on the rod.

Three casts from Caleb and a fish bit. Another 10 inch Northern Pike bites the dust.

... waiting for a fish to bite ...
Michael has been casting in that spot for hours with no bites. The randomness of when a fish bite’s cannot be predicted.

And now back to the Johnson Cabin. When I went in this morning, I noticed that Miranda has stained the box of the kitchen cabinets and I think she is ready to put the doors back on.

“I have spent an incredible amount of time on those cabinets and I think it is time to call it quits,” she said to me tonight.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. The problem with all of these posts is that it makes me want to be out at the cabin that much more. Keep them coming! The kitchen looks fantastic and i'm so grateful to Miranda and Richard for the amazing work they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved that you called the kids Miranda's goslings. At first I thought to myself, did they hatch geese eggs this year? Ha, ha. Cause you know, that is something that my crazy family might actually do. Naomi hatched two praying mantis egg sacks this spring/summer. I must try to post some pictures. We are having fun watching them grow. And catch and eat bugs. Once they get big enough, you have to separate them so they don't start eating each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The images in your posts in photos and words are spot-on for capturing summer 2018 in this haven in the larch hills.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.