Monday, April 13, 2020

Dresses and Shirts for Stampede Week

Picture scanned and circulated by Marcia Bates
Ancient Photo
(I am guessing that the year is 1959 or 1960)

Front Row: Lorraine Tucker, Moiya Wood, Richard Pilling

Back Row: Glen Pilling, Darla Robertson, Leatrice Tucker, Bonnie McLoone, Wyona Bates, Wyora Pilling

Text from Arta

Wyora bought yards of material and made vintage Western wear for us one Stampede Week.  There were yards of ruffles sewn on these dresses.  And what made these dresses outstanding was yards of ribbon and rick rack sewn on the ruffles.

I think Lorraine is wearing cowboy boots.  Yes, real cowboy boots.

Moiya remarked that Wyora has on a cute set of high heels.  And she thinks her mom was young and beautiful, which she was.

I do have a picture where I am wearing a similar dress at a ward party that was held out at the Leinweber farm, so add one more to the total count of people whom Wyora sewed for that summer.

Text from Wyona: 

Aunt Leatrice and her family came up one July. Mother and her sewers made all the dresses.

I remember a bolt or two of the same fabric that Mother bought. Then she bought some rick rack and trim to go on the dresses.

It must be Sharon who is not from our family. And yes, Mother's heels are gorgeous.

This same year we all went to the Raymond stampede and wore our dresses. Oh yes, I remember sewing these dresses!

I used to cut my mother's hair and I always did her hair in rollers from the time I was a teenager. I remember her sitting on a chair while I did her hair. And Doral would sometimes complain about her wearing rollers to bed. We all wore rollers to bed.

This was probably the same year that all the families headed back to Cardston and Moiya was left in Raymond. We did not know she was missing until all cars got back to Cardston. Moiya, you will have to finish the story.

Wyona

3 comments:

  1. Love this photo but I’m dying to hear the rest of the story from Moiya. Forgotten. Oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love studying the facial expressions and body postures in this photo. Do families wear matching outfits anymore? I think probably not unless it is for a wedding. Oh, maybe we do in my family on Orange Shirt Day or for Roots n Blues ... but not homemade. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.