Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Days: #58 Travel - London

Boswell and Johnson were discussing whether or not Boswell's affection for London would wear thin should he choose to live there, as opposed to the zest he felt on his occasional visits. (Boswell lived in Scotland, and visited only periodically). Samuel Johnson is said to have replied, "Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

I have heard that statement quoted a number of times. When I have been in London, tramping up and down the streets, so tired, just trying to see one last thing, I think, “Is it true that London has all that life can afford.”

Debatable, probably, but a nice way to contemplate the joy of being there.

I couldn’t choose a top three or a top ten or even a top twenty “best-things-to-do-in London” list.

I have seen lists that others have made.  I have tried to do some of the items on them and never been disappointed.

I cherish my Handy London Map and Guide that shows me where streets are that I can’t find, that tells me what buses I might look for, that gives me lists and times and dates and places of sightseeing tours and canal trips and riverboard services.


 I love the book’s Index to Places of Interest and its pages of essential sites. 

My copy is tattered.

 I can read it like it is a novel, with stories of my life attached to each page.

 I am glad that I haven't tired of London.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. David says, London must be a very special place if you can't narrow your top things to do down to under 20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about David's comment and wondering if I took my words literally, what would those top 20 places be. An easy answer would be to grab my guide book, and just write down the "Top Twenty Places to See in London" list. And all of those would be as true for me as they were for the listmaker. But I might also add odd places -- like the National Library there. I saw an example of a Tyndall Bible. His dates are ( c. 1494–1536). He was imprisoned and then executed for his work. As well, many other people lost their lives as they hid this Bible from authorities. When I look at that Bible and know at what cost it came to us, it makes me think how blaise I am about my own Bible, never thinking that others gave their lives to preserve those words. So you see, I saw a real Tyndal Bible in the National Library in London. I don't think everyone would put that moment on their Top 20 list of things to see.
    Especially since you might see it in a virtual world. But it was a memorable experience for me.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.