Thursday, April 2, 2020

More of My Warm Memories of Vi Hudson

I don’t remember the year, but I remember the season: spring. In Calgary,the Kiwanis Festival was over. Timothy Hudson and Rebecca had both won their respective speech classes and had been invited to go to the Provincial Festival. Now I don’t remember where it was held other than a long way up into northern Alberta. My best guess would be in High Level. Vi asked if Rebecca and I would like to go along in the car with Timothy and her. Along the drive there, Vi taught Rebecca and me a game which we know now as the Hudson Game.

When it is your turn, you say, I am thinking of a word that rhymes with loss. Then another person in the car says, Are you thinking of something that might grow under a trees to which the original person would say, no, it is not moss. You are out when you can’t give a word back that makes sense to the person who asked you a question. To win, the other people in the car can never think of the word that is in your mind. In the example above, the word in my mind was boss.

We played this game in our family for years. Such an excellent game to pass the time on a long drive. Now I have been in cars where this game has been played with many of my grandchildren. A wonderful game. And thank you for sharing, Viola Hudson.

I have another outstanding memory from that trip. The distance was long, Vi got tired, and she asked me if I would like to drive. She had a beautiful car which had been topped up with an accessory I had never used: cruise control. When I put that on, I can remember thinking, driving can never get better than this. I was probably right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.