Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Years: #54 Film Studies

When I was working at the university, my goal was to take a class, any class with my kids. I took the History of Women in Quebec with Catherine. I took Computer Science 200 with Richard. I took The History of Jazz with Kelvin and Bonnie. I looked for classes on their schedules and picked one that was good for the timing of my lunch hour.

One day, Bonnie suggested that I organize these orphan classes so that I could work toward another degree. Rebecca suggested I concentrate on film studies minor. When I asked why, she said she was doing some writing in Law and Film, and she needed an outside reader. I had already been reading some of these essays and told her I had no tools to critique them. She said, oh, just take a few classes and soon you will feel comfortable with the vocabulary. That is why I began attending classes from the Film Studies Department.

Sergei Eistenstein 
1898 - 1948

Eisenstein was among the earliest film theorists.
He briefly attended the film school
established by Lev Kuleshov and
the two were both fascinated with the
power of editing to generate meaning and elicit emotion.
I found it pleasurable to have a lab where the professor said, “Bring your popcorn and drinks. Movies are intended to be fun.”

I discovered the now burgeoning shelves of books in the library that concentrate on film.

I learned how to use inter-library loan to get access to articles that our library did not hold. I learned to look at a film, shot by shot, naming the parts of the photograph and why this collection of shots was making sense.

I learned about the History of Film Theory. Later the teacher told me that the class that year had been the most engaging of her career. My classmates and I took the readings seriously and came ready to debate their merits.  She was as anxious for the class to begin as I was.

I thought I was learning these tools for when I got older. The disconnect is, I already was older!

Absolutely the memories around film classes get a place in my list of eighty memories for eighty years.


Arta

4 comments:

  1. I love movies. Funny that I don't feel like we have watched many together. Of course that would be because we would rather be visiting with each other than watching a movie. The exception of course is going to the Met or National Theatre productions. Thanks for taking me and my family to those every time you have come to visit us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't ever remember taking any of my kids to the movies. I think I may have sent them.

      Like you, I do have pleasant memories of being at the HD Live events -- which now we can see on T.V. every night.

      A head-shaking change. I think I like the old way better.

      Delete
  2. You are not the 'outside reader', you are the 'inside reader'! hahaha. Again, i feel like I got to do the 'learning by proxy' from all the film courses you took. what a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to go to your house and read the film books you buy.

      Speaking of books, I didn't get my hands on Orit's new book when I was there. Maybe on my next time through.

      I like reading. I wish I could read and walk, but when the text jiggles, I just can't do it.

      Delete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.