Saturday, April 4, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Years: # 37 Winding my Way through my Christian and Mormon Roots

King David dancing before the Ark. Italian terracotta, c. 1660
I like to think about winding my way through my Christian and Mormon Roots as an important memory about my life.

I think that latter came first – my Mormon roots, that is how I grew up – learning about God through the eyes of a latter-day prophet.

Later in my life I widened that lens to see how the tenants of my new world faith are included in the broader Christian geography.

I have always loved the supplements to the holy books: religious art, dance, ballet, and music.

Christian art is fascinating. Major museums have rooms full of early diptychs and triptychs and sculptures.

As an older adult I often find myself drawn to the paintings in those rooms.

A sample of the Kýrie Eléison (Orbis Factor) 
from the Liber Usualis, in neume notation
Religious music played a big part of my life during my university years.

That is where I learned to sight read plain song, sing the hymns by Bach, play thunderous organ music and listen to obscure religious cantatas.

And a burgeoning number of Mormon books
by new women authors like this one
by Rachel Hunt Steenblik
I have included pop religious music as a lot of fun – Joseph and the Coat of Many Colours, which I saw again today.
The Book of Mormon: the Musical is another piece of pop music that references my religion.

I love Carol Lynn Pearson’s Mother Wove the Morning. And nothing is as much fun as watching the new concert version of Jesus Christ Superstar with Rebecca.

There was a period in my life when I was trying to read the Bible from the beginning to the end. I supplemented my reading with books from the Louise Riley library and finally from the Central Library, downtown. I was devouring all kinds of secondary material.  There were many times in the Sunday School class where I had probably done more pre-reading than the teacher.

The internet has opened a whole new way to look at religion – just one click away and then another click. And then another. No question too small to be asked and then answered by Google.

I still find delight in weaving my way in and out of my Christian and Mormon roots.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. I certainly remember you bringing the music of other religious traditions into our home. And the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David here: I don't have much fondness for religion but I cannot deny that Cathedrals are some of the most beautiful things on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David,

    You have seen a cathedral still under construction: Sagrada Familia. Did your parent's take you inside.

    I am wondering what other cathedrals you might have seen.

    I am also interested as to why you think cathedrals are beautiful.

    Some people can walk right by them.

    Not Uncle Greg, though. He goes in one whenever he is passing by and it is open. And he knows what to look for when he is inside so he can admire their beauty. That is a skill I had to learn.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.