Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Eight Memories for Eighty Years: #65 All About My Dishes

One of my young friends from a developing nation told me that all a person needs in the way of utensils is a cup, a fork and a spoon.

He then cupped his hand, then opened it to extend his fingers so that they look like a fork, then he pointed to his teeth.

I wondered if I took that one step up, and introduced materiality: a glass, a bowl and a knife. Which of all I own would I choose?

Looking back, for part of my life, I had the chance to prepare food for 10, 3 times a day, and I needed a cup, a plate and a set of utensils for each person at these meals.
... a butterfly sits in the bottom of this glass ...

Wyona bought one as well.
Greg tossed a couple of ice cubes into the glass,
before pouring Wyona a beverage.
That kindness didn't work out that well.

After one each was in place, and I had a bit of disposable income, I began to think of beauty, of presentation when I was buying:what could go in the dishwasher and what was to be hand washed, wondering if I could change the dishes with the season, or at least some of the seasons – no service for 12, but a change.

 I have loved buying dishes.

Although I have no need, I still look through the housewares department and give myself permission to buy a new dish or two.

Last month I bought two glasses that have a butterfly on the bottom, a 3-D butterfly.

I wanted to drink out of them with my grandchildren, but they are far away now.

I have loved bone china, pewter, wood, ceramic, the stoneware, Villeroy & Boch – loved, loved, loved all of them.

Arta

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I want to buy 2 of those butterfly glasses. I haven't even seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wyona asked me if she could have one of my butterfly glasses, since one of hers broke. Of course we shouldn't have bought them! The small post on which the butterfly sits is not going to last with anyone who dries the glass with a cloth. Wyona and I are going to be nervous wrecks, trying to keep those butterflies from breaking when someone uses the glass. But if we see them on sale when we go back to Home Sense, yes, I will buy 2 for you. Why shouldn't you be a nervous wreck as well.

      Delete
  2. I have a habit with bone China. I seem to need to lift it up to the light and put my other hand behind. It makes me smile every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I do the same thing. Now I kind of look around, for I don't want someone to see if I am testing a dish out -- to see if it is bone china or not. What does it matter. Some Villory & Boch costs more than a piece of bone china, and I don't need to hold it up to see if I can see my hand through it.

    The test works. Still, I have to test it out.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.