Thursday, April 30, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Years: #67 About Adornment

I have always loved jewellery.

That is what I used my pre-teen babysitting money for.

Earrings and tickets to movies.

When I had babies, who would sit on my lap at church, they pretty well destroyed any necklace or set of earrings that I had previously owned– especially earrings that would swing with the tilt of a mother’s head this way or that.

60 years ago only the Queen and a few of the very rich could own pearls.
Now owning a string of them is within the reach of someone like me.
These are pearls that have been crushed, reformed, and lazer coloured.

Would't it be lovely to crush and reform that knuckle on my old thumb?
I began to get jewellry again, when I went to work. That would be when I went to work for money.

Disposable income is lovely and I returned to the joy of my younger teen-age years, buying jewellery, this time my first set of pearls at the Camden Market in London.

I don’t even have to put those on.

Pearls, knotted and laying there all on one string.

If I just cup them in my hand there is a joy, for me,  -- collective beauty that is created from one grain of sand at a time.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. I like the cool feeling of the pearl necklaces Wyona designed for those of us who out in orders. Pearls are stunning, aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week, I put on a string of pearls and went to ZoomChurch at the Jarvis home. Today when I went to ZoomChurch, Catherine and Hebe had both put pearls on. We were all dressing up for the Sabbath. I like wearing pearls. A renewable resource. In the olden times, only Queens could have a string of them. Now a person can buy them, just at Winners.

    Once I wore a string when I went to get my blood work done. The technician said, "Are those real pearls." I said they were.
    She said, "I have a string that my mother gave me."

    "Why don't you wear them?"

    "People my age just don't wear them," she said.

    I would hate to be that age, whatever age that is.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.