Friday, April 24, 2020

Thoughts on Nova Scotia Remembers

Today I attended the Nova Scotia vigil to honour the lives of the 22 Nova Scotians who died during the tragic shootings this week.

Nova Scotia was generous, inviting all Canadians to their memorial.

There were words from the Governor General of Canada, Julie Payette, the Lieutenant Governor General of Nova Scotia, Arthur J. LeBlanc, Mayor Bill Mitchell (Truro), and Mayor Christine Blair (Colchester).

There was a heartfelt prayer from the Reverend of the Faith Baptist Church, and a word of hope from Rev. Antle-Brison. Rev Larry Tirrell of the Bass River Church stood on a bridge, his soft-covered book folded back on itself, held in his hand, referring to it only occasionally as he reminded us of the hope in Luke 4:18 and also referring to Psalms 61:2, closing by reminding us that Christ is our unfailing companion.

I was touched by the tartan that the people wore as they wove their stories together – the tie on the Premier, the scarf softly draped on Sheree Fitch’s neck as she reminded the child in all of that that “Because We Love We Cry”. The Honorable Karen Lyn Casey’s tartan scarf had the words Nova Scotia running down the length of one of its panels. There may have been Nova Scotia tartan on the wall, a picture of Nova Scotia, I think. I know now these are the colors of Nova Scotia.

The musicians were generous, letting us come into their homes, into their front rooms into their kitchens and into their hearts. I listened to their music and I looked at their backdrops, some filled with books, and pictures of loved ones. I knew I was in the J.P. Cormier’s kitchen for his backdrop was a cupboard where I could see Rooster Sauce, tabasco sauce, Fruit Loops, canning jars, all the things that might be in my kitchen. I listened to his country music that reminded me of times “when we shall reach that heavenly shore”.

Nova Scotians who live somewhere else sent home their love since as Jeff Douglas said, “This is the part of the world who formed who I was. These are the people who can heal.” Tara Salone from Toronto said “I hold you in my heart.”

On his guitar, Bill Elliot picked “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” Kisses were blown back home from performers who live far away. Bob Pash, a county councillor stood on a country road holding a paper from which he read his words. I could see the trees behind him, not leafed out yet, the yellow grasses from last year, broken from the winter snow. He reminded me, all indeed, that “these feelings will last a lifetime”.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke to Nova Scotia promising “we will wrap our arms around you. [What has happened] will change us. It cannot define us.”

There were words from Chief Sidney Peters of the Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi' kmaw, saying that they were praying for those who were mourning.

Several times a camera swept over the landscape, Nova Scotian shores, a lone piper along the oceanside.

To close, today I saw public officials, federal, provincial, local, friends, loved ones, singers, song-writers, story tellers , Emily, a teen violinist (killed in the attack but brought back to us by the miracle of youtube footage), TV personalities, religious leaders, all reaching out in love and grief.

 At the end of the vigil, the pictures of those who lost their lives were honored on the screen.

Thank you, Nova Scotia, for inviting me to your vigil.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.