Friday, April 17, 2020

The End of a Reno

I have had a reno going on at my house.
Greg: centre and left    Wyona: centre
Winners against the skyline in the distance

Not the best time for a renovation to happen. 

The case in point, I have been holding off for a couple of years too long.

It’s urgency has gone from nice-to be-done to absolutely necessary, even before the pandemic moved to North America.

Now the upstairs bathroom reno is finished, the new shower is installed, and I am waiting for the first shower to taken.

That will be the contractor’s proof that nothing will leak anymore.

Or maybe the home owners proof.

The new water softener downstairs will need salt, and so on my grocery list was three 40 pound bags of water softening salt – more than I can push or carry. I had to shop. Greg came along as my legs and arms today. We went to Costco. I don’t know why we like to go to the early morning opening on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The line is no shorter when we come out than when we go in, though the clerks have told Wyona that in those early hours, the old people who get in an hour before the regular Costco hours, move really slowly through the store. That clerk probably already knows that the speed she is seeing is absolutely the fastest we can go.

... the line at Costco snakes along newly constructed
outside-of-the-building isles in the early morning hours ...
The first week we went at the ungodly (for some of us) hour of being in the line at 8 am, we stood for an hour in the line up. The wind up there on the prairie is pretty cold.

 Greg said he could see a headline “200 Seniors Freeze to Death”.

 We who live on the upper plateau of the river valley aren’t used to the sweeping wind that comes in across the tops of the foothills where Costco is situated.

Going to Costco used to be a social journey for Wyona and me.

Now we can’t get close enough together in the line-up to talk and we don’t see each other in the store, only as we spot one another – me at the cheese isle and Wyona near the produce area. In fact, social distancing means we just don’t get together – only when Moiya makes a three-way call to us and we are all on the telephone together. That time is actually quite satisfying.

Photo Credit for all pics: Lurene Bates        LtoR: Lurene, Arta, Wyona, Greg
... the moment when we wait for two pizza's from a deserted take-out ...
I have to give Costco a high five for marketing that includes social distancing.

There are lots of sign inside and outside of the store doors.

Costco has found a way to make the line snake up and down the side of the building, which belies the amount of time it will take to get in – there have to be at least 3 long lines to the snake.

Maybe four.

As well, I go in one side of the cooler that holds the vegetables, around a circle and back out the same door but on the opposite fascia of the door. I would say that over ½ of the customers were wearing home made masks (which I see as a gift to those they might cough even-in-the-vicinity-of other customers).

When I am home and my groceries are put away, I look at the bill: clementines, fresh figs, 2 dozen eggs, a kale salad, a baja salad, doulble smoked gouda cheese. I acknowledge, a feast.

As well, I bought water-softener salt.

Arta

5 comments:

  1. i also shopped yesterday. I had to pick up a computer part at BestBuy (advance order, pick up at store, which is open only with 'appointments...pretty cool). I was happy that it was warm enough to stand outside in the line with no jacket. sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wyona told me that is how she picked something up at Kenron Drugs on 16th Ave and 29th St. The clerk came out of the store with Wyona's order, opened the package up (pads to put around toes), Wyona looked to see if it was the right thing, and then they parted, Wyona out of the parking lot and the clerk back into the store. A new level to personal shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a neatly packed grocery cart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know who packed this cart. But I have watched Wyona put the items in her cart so that the woman at the till with the wand, can wand all of the items without taking anything out of the cart. Now that is class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also watched Greg pack all of the groceries from 3 carts into one small car. When he is finished, I do have my seatbelt on. I also have flats of eggs on my lap which are topped up with a box of chips for Zoe. There is a 3" space between that box and the roof. There is no room between that box and me, to let me get the Polish hotdog I have purchased into my mouth. Oh well, it will have to wait until I get home.

    "I think we will borrow Lurene's van next time we go to Costco", is what Wyona said of the adventure. And yes, that is just what we did the next time. Lurene brought her van.

    I am moving to a new model of living. I am going to make a list of groceries and have Richard pick them up when he gets his own. I feel as though I have done a full flip, 180 degrees. If someone asks me if they can help me, no matter my impulse to say that I can take care of myself, I am going to say thank you and take their help.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.