Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Years: #57 Travel: Russia

Some notions had never crossed my mind.

One is that I would take a cruise one day.

But I did see this act modelled in my sister, Wyona.

Out of the blue, one day she called.

Rembrandt's Flora 
from the Hermitage Museum
“I have found a cruise that touches down in some northern countries, spends two days in Russia and then stops in different countries on the way back. The trip will be relatively inexpensive but the flight won’t be since we have to be there in four days.”

Apparently, I can think about an idea and buy into it in an instant.

I have written about the trip elsewhere. Here I just want to mark the miracle of it all, that it even happened.

One of the eighty marvelous memories of my life: my first cruise.

Arta

5 comments:

  1. I can only hope that when i am retired one of my sisters convinces me to travel the world with her. For this month, I am traveling the world through Opera. Last night i visted Russia through the Met Live and got to see the most amazing period costumes for the common people and nobility of Russia at that time -- 200 people in the Met chorus for that show with at least 2 costumes each. Amazing. Xavier said he'd like a hat like the King's corontation crown. I think Xavier could pull off wearing it on a trip to Safeway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thoughts when watching Boris Gudenov. Exactly the same. I settled down with my dinner and cast it to my big TV. I wasn't a few minutes into it when I thought, wow, this feels like Russia. And I am right in the middle of the crowd. I put it on again this morning and since I have some simple step exercises to do, I can do them right in front of the TV and relive revolution!

      I just went out for a minute tonight to see what the opera of the day is. La Rondine. The Swallow. Such a nice switch to Puccini's wonderful melodies. The violins were so precise in the opening moments of the beginning notes, and then the music got sidelined by the costuming. That green dress, that red dress were so heavily beaded. They must have been 10 pounds each. And the passing of the pearls -- oh, you know how I would have liked that. Opera sang with a handful of pearls!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to have removed your remarks, Rebecca. They were just asking for links to former posts about Russia. Thanks for the request. You know to hit a delete key I hardly have to hover over something and it is gone. Well, you know that technique too well.

    And how are you doing? Getting ready to teach online next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by the way, I did answer your request in a blog post called "On Going Back to the Blog".

      Delete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.