Monday, April 20, 2020

A Rich Operatic Viewing Life

Elektra - The Metropolitan Opera (2018)
I am having such a rich operatic life.

That might be, because I live alone and I have to find solitary entertainment.

I have discovered I can watch a filmed broadcast of a New York Metropolitan Opera,:I have watched an opera every night, and sometimes during the day.

I rarely nod off to sleep .

I watched Cilea’s Adriana Lecouvreur a couple of nights ago, and the sound of the 2 sopranos was so divine that I went back to the opera and listened to bits and pieces after I had done one full viewing.

Then yesterday, Der Rosenkavalier made me laugh so many times, that I went back and watched Act II again, the scene in the bordello. Do you think the Madame was in drag? I can’t always tell which is what makes drag so interesting. I think the aristocratic Marshallin calls that second act, just a practical joke. Whatever it was, I knew it had gone by too fast for me and I needed to see it once more. Now setting the opera in motion again is a gift that I can only get during home viewing.

Marcia said that Audra’s singing teacher was recommending Strauss’s Elektra tonight (and tomorrow for those who have time). I had to refresh my mind on Elektra, the Mycenaean princess who needed to avenge her father, Agamemnon.

There is a big Greek Gods and Goddesses gap in my education. This is also true of Roman and Norse gods. I am just glad for Google every time there is an opera with those mythical characters.

Amazing.

In my whole life I never dreamed I could watch opera every night at home.

Of course, this would be torture for some.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. How long have you lived alone for, Arta?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.