Saturday, April 25, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Years: #62 On having a black and white TV

The miracle of a family owning a black and white TV occurred in America before Canadians had networks set up to provide shows.

The first black and white TVs I saw were at the homes where I baby sat. 

I would stay up and watch until about 1 am when God Save the Queen was played and the screens went to snow.

I could hardly believe that I got to watch TV and was paid as well. I did not think that television could get any better.

When I was married, had two children and we lived in some low rental units near the university, Kelvin and I had a black and white television.

That is where I got most of my news. Still indelible on my mind is the day that I watched the breaking news that J.F. Kennedy had been assassinated…I saw the afternmath on that black and white TV.

Technology has improved.

Now I have a beautiful coloured television and can watch specials on my computer screen as well, casting them to the bigger screen. I can stay up all night.  Indeed, all day, all night and again all day if I want to binge watch a programme.  I have more hand held controllers than I know what to do with, and they have buttons I am never going to learn to manage. This kind of technology would have been beyond anything I could have imagined as a teen-ager making $.35 an hour while babysitting and enjoying someone else’s black and white T.V., never even imaging that I might own one.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. Your writings always make me smile! You share so many fond memories... Glad for reminders that life is so good~ Jane Milner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well,Jane, my birthday is coming fast and I am not keeping up with my writing. Today I thought I could do 7 bullet posts and get caught up and I haven't done one. Now tomorrow, I will have to try for 8 to get back on schedule. Thanks for saying that you are enjoying them and that they are bringing back fond memories. And I, too, give a big resounding yes to having found so much of life to be good.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.