Thursday, April 30, 2020

Eighty Memories of Eighty Years: 69 All About My Decorations

I have always loved Christmas and every year I have saved the decorations from the year before and I only throw out the one that can’t be fixed with glue.

After 59 years of adding something on every year, I have to label the boxes to know what is in them.

Joseph as a Single Parent Family
The donkey's head was broken this year. 
You can see where it was repaired with glue.
Mary was not so lucky. 
She was smashed to smithereens in an accidental drop.
Still, I try to pull them out each Christmas.

Since decorating for Christmas is fun, I began to decorate for all seasons: Valentines day, Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, July 1st, Labour Day, Thanksgiving, Halloween, and I finish off with my decorations for Remembrance Day.

I have to back up.  Decoating for Chrismas is not fun.  Every year I decide not to do it again; the three day mess around the house as I get everything out and up is discouraging.

But next year I take the decorations out again because I love them.  I can remember where I bought each nativity: the store, the city, the cost, the children who come to them and move around the figures I have already so carefully placed in them.  I love thinking back about all of that.

I rationalize that I decorate for Christmas to create small acts of beauty for others.

Deep down, I know I do it for myself.

Arta

4 comments:

  1. You have described my sentiments perfectly in this Post. I love Christmas and all the celebrations for all the same reasons, and it's such a lot of work, but it is a labor of love and, when the time comes... we can't resist. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. And when I see something new when the season comes, I just get it! And sometimes I follow the lead of Wyona who bought a small electric tree, out of which blows snow that drops on th branches and into an umbrella at the bottom which then gets recycled to the top of the tree, and down it comes again. So many children have lovingly rtun their hands through the snow pellets at the bottom of the tree. It it plays music that sound tinny and awful, but they love, and thus, I do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one place where i really fall down. I just cannot match the wonder of having all those things around! (i think i do love having them there, but can't manage the work of doing it in my own little house of minimalist men!). I love so much coming to your place to see things spread out for my enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A person has to have a garage dedicated to storing decorations in order to have as many as I have. No room for a car in my garage. If decorations are out in my house, they are meant to be touched and moved. I like your mantel piece. Lot of beautiful Indigenous art up there to be seen. Thanks for that kind of beauty.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.