Friday, April 24, 2020

Wear Red

Rebecca takes a picture which captures both of us wearing red.
I was listening to the Prime Minister speak this morning.

He said that today was the day to wear red in honour of those who died in Nova Scotia.

I think it was the National Police Federation who asked public to wear red on Friday in honour of N.S. shooting victims. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also said that there would be an evening vigil at 7 pm EST.

In the morning, I put on my red top, my red fleecy, and a red Haida button scarf – all of that felt red enough. The fleecy happened to have pinned to it a snow house a qaggiq (large snow house big enough to gather people together), a gift from Rebecca’s friend to her, and regifted to me. I think of both of those women when I pin it on. Now it is a regular fixture on that jacket, so I felt unusually Canadian: connected to the gift givers and to my nation, east to west and to the north.

I have been doing some typing for Rebecca. Not much. She calls me, she thinks out some paragraphs and I do the work of the spelling the words she says and making a rough document to send back to her. I told her that today was the day to wear red. She hadn’t heard of that, so she went back to her room and changed into red. For some reason I felt super-connected, not just to her, but to all of Canada. I had been reading something on the internet that said, post a picture of yourself in red, since we can’t gather together in community. Perhaps it would be ok to gather on our blogs and web pages in our red the article said. So we are putting our picture here. If you want to add your picture in red, sent it along and I will post it here.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.