Monday, April 20, 2020

To the Godess of Blog Comments

I received a phone call from Wyona. She has tried multiple times to post comments on the blog. For her, it just isn't working. I have no idea why and my only solution is to do a little research.  So I have written it down on my list of questions to research which only grows longer by the day.  I can tick off the quick answers, but not the long questions (Like why is my Facebook all in Chinese characters instead of English script?) unless Richard comes from next door to help me.  But his first comment to me is "I hate Facebook".  I know that feeling after seeing all of the script gone wrong.  So problem number one -- script.

Another problem with using the blogger platform is that comments written about posts last year, just don't surface on the blog themselves.  Yes, if you go into Design, but not too many people even have access to that and if they do, know what to do there.  So I am presenting another problem -- timing.

Still, a voice from the past called me today out of previous blog comments.  It was Bonnie Wyora replying to an 2018 post which contained the following picture and had this message posted down in the comments:
Dear Flora, Roman Goddess of Spring and Flowers, or should I say Saskia*?
Rembrandt's Flora 
from the Hermitage Museum
 
My apologies for besmirching your name 9 years ago when I enquired as to whether you were holding a cigar while pregnant. 
Upon doing some research, I learned that you are carrying a staff of flowers and leaves. How could I have thought otherwise? 
Humbly, Bonnie, 
"The Salmon Arm Goddess of Blog Comments"
(it is neither a staff nor a cigar that I carry in my hand, but rather it is a smart phone .)

* Saskia is a feminine name. There are at least two different sources of the name. One is of Dutch and North German origin, where it originally meant "a Saxon woman" (metathesis of "Saxia"). The other, thought to be of Slavic origin, means "protector of mankind" (from "Sasha", a shortened form of "Alexandra").

------End of Bonnie's comments ---

Dear friends,

If the comment box won't publish for you, just send me an email or even better just put your thoughts right in a post.  Afterall, the blog belongs to all of us:  family and friends.

Arta


4 comments:

  1. My iPhone kept doing auto correct on texts I sent in a revolving array of foreign languages. One day it was French, then Tagalog, Russian, German etc. I finally figured out that I should not be banging my phone on the counter, which I was doing in frustration when I could not unlock it. Took off the lock and then reset the language. Perhaps you have been banging your laptop on the counter? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do slip the laptop off of the counter and onto my lap to make it easier to type. I try to make it a soft slide. I can't figure out how to do a lot of stuff on my phone. And if I figure something out, it is a useless piece of information for me. And now I have never invited anyone to a Zoom meeting, though I have clicked on the links of others. Is the world getting away from me, even though everyone is staying at home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is the secret. If you are a Mac user, SAFARI is the problem. It won't let you post comments. But if you try using Chrome or Explorer as the browser (maybe even Firefox), then it works. wierd.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.