Friday, April 10, 2020

Eight Memories about Eighty Years: #44 Travel: 306 Miles

... trains on the siding and the main track ...
Being able to travel is a luxury.

Of that luxury, the three hundred and six miles between my house and the cottage are miles I always enjoy.

I can never get to my destination fast enough.

On returning back to Calgary, I always shed a few tears as I wind the highway away from the cabin, afraid that I will never return, although I always do.

When Kelvin and I first began taking our car load of kids out there, I planned a picnic along the way, always some stop in the National Parks or at a roadside pull over where there was a creek or a hill to climb.

... Michael up at the frog pond ...
During the winter months I would gather newspaper articles that would tell me about the history of the railroad through the mountains, or of how Canada designated its national parks, or stories about how the trans-Canada highway was established or of how hard it was to build the Roger’s pass.

... work train at Annis Siding ...
Now I am not sure that any of this information was retained by my children, but I have laid down so many memories along the way for myself.

I know every curve of the highway that takes me to and from my dream destination.

Arta

5 comments:

  1. The hardest part of this 'socially distant' time is reminding myself NOT to hop in the car and drive out there. It is my dream place too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember travelling over the Rogers Pass with my family the day it opened in 1962. Ria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the year I first went there as well. There would be long line-ups while part of the road was still under construction. That hasn't stopped. People in BC mark that as the year that property prices began to rise. Before that, it was too far for Albertans to get there. Once we saw what was possible, going to BC seemed like a perfect vacation. And it still is.

      Delete
  3. I remember eating a cucumber sandwich on homemade bread as I watched Trell and Doral run towards Takakka Falls, heading far closer to the base of the falls than I ever planned to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea of why I would have made my kids eat cucumber sandwiches. I will bet they didn't even like the home made bread, either. But it was a lot better than going close to those thundering falls, as you point out. The road up there is so winding. It still is. I would go oftener, but it takes longer to go on that road since the car has to go so slowly. I think a trip up there can add more than an hour and a half. Maybe two. That is too long when you have a large family. But we did it anyway.

      Delete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.