Thursday, April 30, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Years: #66 All About My Scarves

... just the right colours for me ...
... a gift to me from Wyona ...

What is necessary for warmth has to come first in the way of accessories.

A thick scarf for winter is essential.

In Alberta, more than one scarf since the weather goes down to 20, then 30, then 40 below.

For me, a lighter scarf for the spring Chinook winds will stave off laryngitis.

 I need 2 or 3 Spring scarves at least, different weights for changing weather.

I didn’t notice drafts in my house all of the years I have been living here.

a Marc Chagall print
 I was working so fast,  then, that I didn't notice the house was drafty.

In fact, I was working so fast that some of the drafts might have been created by me. 

 Now I sit a lot and I notice the ordinary drafts around an older house like mine. 

I need scarves and light blankets – at the computer, in the chair when reading, while watching TV, over the foot of my bed at night. I need something for each place.

I have loved the joy of finding a beautiful scarf in a far off market, the touch of silk, the beauty of a hand painted scarf, the utility of a scarf that can be twisted, crunched, folded and still comes out looking like a million dollars, a pashmina woven from variant the downy undercoat of the Changthangi goat, a scarf so fine that it will pass through a wedding ring.

I have owned and loved them all.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. The feel of fabric is a big part of my shopping experience, at least pre covid-19. One way I have learned some of my habits is watching them in my son and thinking they were curious, and then suddenly realizing he was just copying me. One of those habits I saw before David could talk. I saw him circling a rack of shirts in a store, rubbing the fabric between thumb and fingers for a few seconds before moving on the next item, and the one after that ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to believe that after we have a vaccine for Covid, that we will be able to touch everything in stores, as we did before. Not everyone has to do that touching. I do this in fabric stores as well -- a touch to see if this is silk, or if that is rayon, etc. Now I can't believe I ever did that.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.