Monday, April 6, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Years: # 38 Words

 I have loved words ever since my Grade I teacher taught me how to read. Since then reading library books has filled my spare time. I think my initial love of words was heightened with speech training. I was taught how articulating the consonants and colouring the vowels of words is a gift to other people.

When I had children and they began to get older, I loved the words they would use. I can still feel the thrill when Trell would use a large word in a sentence but it was mispronounced. I knew then that he had owned that word and would soon get the pronunciation right.

By the time my children were teen-agers, the number one adage from their father was “Word don’t have meanings. People have meanings for words.” They listened to innumerable 2 ½ minute speeches from him on this topic. He loved words too. For me the idea that words don’t have meanings, that people have meanings for words was a radical shift, one that broadened my interest in how my teen-agers used words, especially when they did not have the same meaning for a word that I did.

... dominoes ready to fall ...
Speaking of my love of words, this year I received the gift of The New Yorker, a new issue each week.

I read every article, underlining words I don’t know and circling concepts that are new to me.

When I see beautifully formed sentences I practise the prosody of them … outloud.

I even read the poetry in The New Yorker and I hate poetry.

When I have finished reading the issue, I always plan to go the dictionary and find out the meanings of those words I underlined, or discover where those concepts came from. Sometimes I even do it.

At this moment, I want to pick up a calligraphy pen and illustrate for you how beautiful words can look when an artist dallies with them. But that is not a job for now.

These days, the words I use are scribbled almost illegibly on a scrap of paper reminding me of a job I need to do, or of a thought I want to write about later.

After all of these years, I still love words.

I can’t imagine what my journey would have been like without them.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. The words you posted on the cupboard above the dishwasher were such a great hook for a conversation with a teen. I remember being shocked by some of the newspaper clippings you would hang there. I wish I could recall a specific shocking example to note here, but all that surfaces for me is the head shaking incredulity of teen being drawn into the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to rip art work out of magazines and post it there. Once a circumspect, and then shocked person saw one of the nudes I had put there and said something to me about it. I was surprised and then taken aback, wondering if I was going far, though to me, I never felt I was going far enough.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.