Sunday, April 11, 2021

80 Things We Love About Arta: 13 - 17

More wonderful things about ARTA!!!!

13. Email

While I was at University of Alberta in the early 1990's my aunt introduced me to this new communication tool: email. I began using it to keep in touch family in Calgary and Ottawa. I began telling my friends to 'send me an email' if they wanted to share information with me or invite me to an event. Long time friends of mine have told me that I was the first one to introduce them to email. Turns out Arta had increased my social capital and I didn't even know it until years later. Perhaps the title of this Arta thing should be, "Increasing My Nieces Social Capital". Thank you Arta! (I have 500 emails between Arta, I and family members stretching back to 2009. I think the first ones from the 1990's have long been deleted.)


Remember this?

 

14. Treasure a Higher Education

Over the course of her 16 years as an employee at the University of Calgary, Library Services, Arta helped at least 27 of her children, nieces and nephews obtain degrees. By help I mean:

a. Taught us to shop for classes. At the beginning of the semester attend 10 - 15 classes, look at the syllabus, watch the professor/instructor, and choose the classes that fit you as a learner.

b. Registered and took classes with us to help us succeed.

c. Provided us with rooms in her home to live close to U of C.

d. Help us research and edit research projects and papers. Keep in mind most of us attended from the 1990's to the early 2000's. We had to physically go to the library to obtain articles and books for research as the digital research was not as prolific.

e. Feed us while we lived in her home.

f. Shared her lunch with us when we would visit her office.

g. Write difficult emails with us to make space for ourselves in difficult academic environments.

h. Tell us repeatedly how proud she was of each of us, working so hard to learn about the world around us through formal education.

i. Teach us to attend free lectures about topics we were not interested in until the end of the lecture. Then we could not stop talking about the topic. Sometimes there was even free food. Mmmmm.....

j. Encourage us to sit in the first eight rows of large lecture halls (research showed these students performed better) and ask ALL your questions during class. ALL OF THEM!

k. Gather all the current cousins and siblings for a photoshoot each year.

Picture at U of Calgary of the cousins and siblings circa 2001:
Laynie, Tonia, Kindel, Cohl, Jeremy, Marcia, Lurene and Trent
(left to right)


15. Bird By Bird

Many years ago I remember Arta saying she took a writing course. It went so well that she and several others from the group had organized a friendly writing group that would meet monthly. This group ran so well that she organized a writing group for at least two summers at Shuswap Lake. Family members interested would spend time capturing a moment or story, we would gather in a circle on the lawn outside the quiet cabin, each person choosing to share or not share their more recent written work. She is always writing and documenting, hence the success of this blog. Here is a book she encouraged me to read so that I could become a better writer too:

Bird By Bird, by Anne Lamott

(More information about Anne Lamott here.)


16. CBC's Top 100 Classical Pieces of Music on CD

While attending university in the early 2000's and living in Arta's home, we began a goal that we never finished. She had found a list on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's (CBC) website that listed the top 100 pieces of classical music. We agreed that if I bought the blank CD's she could spend the time at work recording all 100 songs for both of us. Over the course of several months our plan took shape as we added to our matching collection. I am not sure how far we got down the list. Somehow life distracted us. I am going to go look for those CD's. 

P.S. CD's are compact discs for all you young people out there. :) 


17. Be Yourself

...whoever that may be. One of Arta's most interesting physical characteristics is her beautiful grey and white hair. Many of us have been recruited to trim it for her over the years. I had the pleasure of spending time with her in London at my parent's flat. As we travelled around the city one day we found an advertisement in a store that highlighted grey and white hair, a sight not often seen in 2009. She posed for some pictures and I enjoyed taking them. Be yourself, whoever you are. 

Arta in London, UK

Both women wore it best!

More great characteristics about Arta forthcoming!

17 comments:

  1. Tonia, you are capturing so many truths about my mother. I love reading about her through your eyes (and your pen). I nod my head at each sentence. I can't believe you captured her with her hair down. When we oooh and aaah when her hair is down she says, "oh, this is so embarrassing." Her hair is stunning. I also like her classic taste. But I also like that she hasn't shied away from trying the latest styles with clothing, jewelry, it hairstyles. It was so avante guard when she had her hair in a very short haircut in the late 80s/early 90s. I remember my eyes getting so wide when she came home with an asymmetrical cut. Daring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those writing group summers hold very precious memories for me. Do you have any of your writing from then? I will try to find mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a member of the writer's course and then the writer's group that met monthly. We met for almost 10 years. I got the privilege of listening to and reading a lot of writing by Arta that was not blog posts.
    Ria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that your group ran for almost a decade. Those meetings always sounded like such cherished time. If you are comfortable sharing any of your writing on the blog, or have published it elsewhere, I would love to read it.

      Delete
    2. I am so excited that you responded to this post Ria! I heard many stories about the group and how much Arta loved your meetings, everyone's writings, and your group. So fantastic!

      Delete
  4. thanks Tonia for this thread, and your posts. I have so many of them i would like to add, but the time feels so precious right now. I really value being able to read along with you, and look at the images, and read them to Arta herself. thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just talked with Wyona today and we shared that since we aren't able to see Arta at this time, we are really enjoying this form of communication. Thank you for reading these memories and posts together! We love you both!

      Delete
  5. One thing about visiting with Arta is that she makes you feel like you are the most interesting person in the world at that moment. She asks thoughtful questions in order to draw out how you feel and what you think and her interest is genuine. (My mom, Merne Laycock Livingstone, was a cousin of Doral. I remember our family being kindly invited to a Pilling reunion down near Cardston many years ago and a hilarious hayride where the combined weight of everyone on that hay-covered flatbed wagon proved too much for the well-worn tires.
    Louise Brown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since your mom was Doral Pillings cousin, does that make you and Arta second cousins?

      I feel privileged to be a part of the circle of love that surrounds Arta - this huge extended family (those born in, married in, adopted, chosen, or who chose to be a part of it).

      Delete
    2. We would be second cousins. I have been happy to get to know Arta better these past few years as we have both been in the same ward.

      Delete
    3. Louise, Merne and Doral were cousins on my maternal grandmother's side, I think? My dad was filled with stories about my paternal grandfather's people, and not so much with ones about my maternal grandmother's people. That does not mean he would have loved them any less... it is just that the stories came out that way. One gift out of mormonism is that it teaches us to love our relatives, even when there are still stories for us to learn.

      Delete
    4. Arta, our families are large and amazing. How lucky and hard working are we? :)

      Delete
  6. Sending my love and prayers!! Louise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Arta, I treasure the memories of good times shared together. I remember tutoring your girls in French and PLANNING to attend opera together. :-) Memories of good times! Love Peggy Estabrooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, we had some great times attending to opera while Arta was working at the university. She and her colleague would help us purchase tickets for $10 to the dress rehearsal. While we often had to wait through directors notes and repeated scenes, we did not mind. Go to the opera Peggy! It is worth the experience.

      Delete
  8. There were a lot of ways to go to the opera and Tonia and I may have done them all and Peggy and I planned to do them all.

    I used to love going to MetOpera.org the best of all.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.