Thursday, April 29, 2021

Fazeela on The Movie about the Hajj (#42 in 80 Thoughts About Arta)

... sunset view at the Royal Jubilee Hospital ...
Dear Arta, 

I read Brenda's message and was so touched I cried. So here are a few of my thoughts under this Series, "Eighty Thoughts About Arta". 

The four of us (Ann, Brenda, you and me) had a special relationship as a group, and we each had our own relationship with each other. 

Brenda definitely had a very special one with you especially since you worked so closely together. You two were quite the pair.

Since we're sharing memories, I have my own of my relationship with you. I could write pages but I know you need your rest so I'll just note a few.  and listen to me talk and cry. You have no idea how much that meant to me.

Over the years, anytime I was in a dilemma, I would call you and ask if you would like to walk with me. I really valued your opinion -- you always had a way of looking at an issue which made me see things differently. And, of course, there was your sense of humour. In the process, on our walks, I learned lots about trees and foliage on campus.

Another memory that is indelibly etched in my mind is watching that movie "Le Grand Voyage" 

Remember that? 

My mom was going to the Hajj and nothing would stop her. She was 80 years old, frail with health issues but very determined. We talked about it and you suggested I watch the movie. You didn't let me watch it alone. You watched it with me over a couple of days and that meant so much to me. 

 It was a lovely movie, as much about the Hajj as it was about the father/son relationship. It certainly took my mind off my mother for a while.

One more thing. You used every opportunity to grow and learn and that was an inspiration to everyone who knew you.

Sometimes when I am hesitating about whether to make the effort to watch a movie or a play or an opera, I'd ask myself "What would Arta do?"

... remembering watching 
The Grand Voyage .
with Fazeela ...
So glad we were all a part of each other's lives. My time at the UC would have been so different without the three of you.

I'm so happy you're back at Rebecca's house and hope your sleep improves.

I did request "Braiding Sweetgrass" and the last time I checked I was #27 so I'm getting closer. Take good care, my friend. 

Know that my thoughts and prayers are very much with you.

Love

Fazeela

(No 42 of 80)



3 comments:

  1. Fazeela, I love that you are choosing to get your copy of Braiding Sweetgrass as a library loan. I will do the same. I feel like doing so honours you, Arta, and your library born friendship. Now, off to put my name in our local library waitlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lurene ordered me a copy and now I just need to take time to read it. Lovely post Fazeela! Your name was one of the names mentioned to me often by Arta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fazeela is a bigger reader that I am. Both Fazeela and Ann Cowie can count on one hand the books they have read compared to the books I have read, I always thought _that_ was what I was going to do when I got older and more substantially retired.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.