Saturday, April 10, 2021

update note from Arta to family and friends - from the hospital

Here is an update from Arta: 

Arta on the 3rd floor at the RJH PCC 

I am in the hospital.  I came to the emergency ward on Wednesday evening Rebecca.  They decided to admit me so they could have a doctor look at me.  

The hospital was very busy, but by 4 am, they had found an open bed on the new cardiac ward.  The room is very comfortable.  There are a team of doctors working with me: Dr. Hammet is the attending, Dr. Pierson is the GI, and Dr. Anderson is the palliative.  For some reason I needed to know where Dr. Anderson was from and she told me Newfoundland.  I knew there was something just a little different in her accent. 

getting ready for the nose prong!

I have written on the white in my room “nasogastric” – this is to remind me of the name for the tube that goes down my nose and into my stomach to empty out the contents of my stomach.  
I know it is 50 cm long because I watched the nurse in emergency measure it before they put it in. I felt it going in and then coming back out because it hadn’t gone to right place. Then they had to put it down again. I think I told Catherine I will never let anyone do that to me again. She told me that in medical school it was a technique they had to practice on each other because it was hard to find anyone to let you practice on. They say it may cause discomfort.  That is a huge understatement.


 

I have one very interesting thing to tell you.  I still have a hard time picturing and understanding where the stomach is of how the  lies underneath it but did mention to one of the Dr’s it would be an interesting thing to have a 3D app that could show you this and the doctor told me there is one.  It is called Atlas 2021.  I thought it wouldn’t cost much but then remembered anything related to medicine books is expensive.  She told me it take so much memory on her phone you can hardly have any other apps.  She opened it and showed me and it was amazing.  Looking at all the squiggly intestines, I began to think that Hebe could make an interesting sewing project out of this. All the lines and lines of intestine would be good practice and sewing curves.  

 

view from Arta's room on 8th floor
Now I am going to be moved to palliative care unit which is on the 8th floor.

 

Written on my chart it also says “nothing by mouth.” This is so they can empty out my stomach to try the stent.  Having an empty stomach is not worry to me because I have hardly been eating anything anyway.

 

Cherry trees in bloom near Rebecca's house
I took a picture of the courtyard outside the window of the hospital. It is beautiful -- the Japanese cherry blossoms are in bloom.


12 comments:

  1. Today at the lake there was a discussion about doing a sewing project of the tube that starts at the mouth and ends in the toilet. We found an old Yoshi Halloween costume we think we can repurpose into a pancreas. We didn't get past the conceptual phase because there were banana muffins to make, leaves to rake, and wood to chop. Maybe tomorrow we'll get to our sewing project. We are thinking of you, Arta, and doing what we think you might enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arta,
    Sabynthe here, I’m visiting my folks in SLC. Hanging out with them is lots of fun... like a sit com actually. You are in our thoughts. Very much enjoy your blog, so will keep reading for updates. Love you. Sabynthe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Arta; sending love on this beautiful day. Hope you can get out into the courtyard again today, chance of hail is now back to zero... Holding good "stent" thoughts. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the update and I am glad you view is stunning! Those blossoms are wonderful! I went for my first Covid test a few weeks ago and had the pleasure of a long q-tip going up my nose. As it touched the back of my nasal area, my eyes began to flutter involuntarily, my tear ducts kicked in and I gave a wee yelp. I can't imagine a 50 cm long tube doing anywhere near that area. Thank goodness for modern medicine and the skills people have learned in order to practice it. Love you Arta! Keep us updated on your progress as you have the energy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending love and concern from your friends in Calgary, Arta. Dale Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good evening Arta, I hope you sleep well! We've missed having you in Calgary, but we also had snow as recently as Thursday, so it's a good spring to be in BC. We see that your beautiful cherry blossoms are blooming through your window, and our little crocuses are poking their heads through the hard dry hillsides here. We are sending lots of love your way! (It's Lynne Estabrooks Ursenbach)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arta, it is such shocking and sad news to hear that you are so ill. I had no idea you weren't just up the street or at the lake, isolating like the rest of us. Covid 19 has played horrible tricks on us. It is wonderful to be able to attend church over zoom but we have no idea who is attending with us and who isn't. I'm grateful to know that you are being watched over by competent doctors and supported by your Becky. We hope and pray that you will be blessed with comfort and peace. Prayers always, Erva and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Arta, I have learned many things from you over the years and one of them is not to get too hyper about things that don't really matter. This is the story you told me. One Sunday one of your little daughters was not ready to walk with the family to church so you told her to just put on the prettiest dress that she liked and walk over. The meeting had just started when your darling little girl walked to the front pew where your family sat wearing her pretty little puffy ballerina dress. It was no big deal to you. I have loved you for many years and will pray for you. Alice Earl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arta, I was so sorry to hear your bad news. It sounds like you are getting good care, now that that tube is in. Nice that you have those beautiful blossoms down the street -- we've had flurries off and on today here in Calgary. I guess now you won't have to learn Spanish to VT Delia with me. Love you blog.. you are a very gifted writer. Will remember you in my prayers. Lynne J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lynne. You made me laugh, thinking about learning spanish.... REALLY laugh. The best I did was first year university french, but that was in 1959, which really dates me. Last night I was laying in a bed, waiting to be moved to the operating room, and I heard the people in the space beside me speaking French, and I was thinking about how many times i have given that language 'the old college try', and failed! :-) Yet still, I seemed to be able to follow along in the conversation. Do you think i learned more than i thought i did? (or maybe was just supported in that belief by the morphine?! lol). I enjoyed spending time with you and am still hoping that there will be a time where we get to know each other better (visiting teaching in our own way).

      Delete
  10. Dear Arta, my sister let me know about this blog. It's so nice to see the pictures of you. I spent sometime yesterday looking for this great picture of Mary and me from a Halloween many years ago now. We had a lot of fun together, most of it, picture worthy. I have so many lovely memories of you from inspirational pep talks to seeing you on campus. I'll keep looking for that picture from Halloween. Much love, Nicole Estabrooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nicole. Halloween, the second best time of the year! Today Rebecca 'smuggled' in my waterpik to the hospital, in a Grocery store bag produced for halloween. Some bags are just too good to get rid of (that includes me and your mom! lol)

      Delete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.