Sunday, April 25, 2021

Pins #2 - Top Four

My Top 4 Pins

Part #2 of pins about jewelry. 

Saskatchewan Article
See Pin #4 on this blog post
I doubt that I own a pin that costs more than $50. OK, having said that, $50 seems like a lot of money.

So I just take that total cost and absorb it under “number of tans of gas I have purchased” which significant price point is the cost of 2 pins. 

This means if I’ll walk a little more and drive a little less and take that money and format it into "gas I didn’t buy," then pins I did buy spring right to the top of my list of fun I had in a lifetime.

#1. Deb Curran’s pin made from driftwood bone from the north – carved like an igloo

#2. Femo pin of 4 cartoonish looking women’s face – purchased for a significant birthday, purchased by 4 significant women to me.

#3. My December Holiday Pin, (purple, green, yellow, blue)
My largest pin, one through which the light flashed and picks up the joy of the holiday season. This pin is designed to be one of three flashes of light that make me breathless about the joy of holidays. A set of earrings highlighting one of the colours comes with the pin. I today’s world I have enough money that I could have purchase earrings that go with each set of jewel set. But in the world when I bought that pin I could only afford one pin, and one set of earrings. However, when I walk down the aisle at church and am wearing that pin, I try to pass Peggy who is wearing her own pin on her own jacket. I still like being old-fashioned. There is something very satisfying about an art form that few people care about anymore.  Just that I understand I wear beauty for others seems to bring happiness to me.

Pins passed from woman to woman

#4. Indigenous beaded poppy pin – 2 inches in diameter. I have two pins purchased by Rebecca at Indigenous Art Fairs. One of them is a two-inch poppy (of which Rebecca bought 10). On Remembrance Day she wears a pin and makes sure her loved ones have one to wear if they so choose. I chose one that was so cleverly and tightly beaded, in line by line. I wore the pin at night to a book event hosted by Shelagh Rogers. She remarked to Rebecca that she couldn’t believe she had arrived to the event without wearing a poppy. Rebecca said, here, take mine. And Rebecca took it off her shoulder and put it on Shelagh. I took the one off my backpack and gave it to Rebecca knowing I could pick out another when I got home. And so that is what Shelagh Rogers, Rebecca Johnson and I share in common on Remembrance Day. The point is, we all think ahead to the piece of jewelry we will wear that day.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. I am not really a pin person even though I do have a few pins. I have always admired Arta's pin collection. She wears a pin with finesse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved her set of pins she has collected over the years on her blue protest marching hat. So many great pins over the years with so many political messages and images. Love it! And you are correct Wyona, she wears them well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arta, thank you for the new image to associate with you. I am going to enjoy Shelagh Rogers voice all the more in the radio knowing she may be wearing a beaded poppy that comes from the same family of poppies worn by you (and me).

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.