Thursday, May 28, 2020

Add a few leeks

Photo credit: Richard Johnson
... a bee in my garden at the Shuswap ...
Mati and I found two clumps of leeks in Miranda’s garden.

Since she will be in British Columbia for the summer, he and I have taken to watering her raised garden beds  in Calgary and thinking about what can be planted there.

For now, we should start using the leeks that have sprung up from last year.

I used some yesterday, adding them to the egg filling I was making for a sandwich.

But today, a light bulb went on.

The Baja Salad Kit from Costco could stand a few additions. I am trying to get the proportions right between how much salad there is, and how many leeks need to be cut.

And on that point of adding something, while making the salad, if pouring food out of a bag and into a bowl can be called making a salad, I remembered the now popular salads that include shredded cauliflower. So while Richard fried the pork chops, which sat all day in a bag with the marinade originally intended for elk steak, I shredded the cauliflowerettes he had brought me from Costco. When there is not too much cauliflower, and it is shredded, it feels like a creamy addition to the salad. Yes, in the spring time when leeks are tender and mild, -- get a packaged salad, then just add leeks and I can really believe I made a salad.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.