Saturday, May 30, 2020

On Shaking Out Tiny Green Worms

Home School Covid Style - Moiya's Lawn
From Wyona

Yesterday Greg said to me, there are miniscule green worms hanging from threads on the trees.

I said they are spiders, but he said no, they are worms, so I went out and looked.

He was right; they were worms.

Now this morning Laynie was on the road. She had a clipboard and a pencil and a man was with her so Marcia went to see what was up. When there is a story to be told, as we thought there might be with the man on the road, the clipboard and a pencil, we gather the chairs and put them in a socially distant way.

And while Marcia, Greg, Tim, Lurene, Laynie and I were talking about that business, Teague and Marcia saw Glen out shaking his pear tree.

Covid-19 Home School Janitorial Service 
- Autumn Wood -
Now if Glen is shaking his pear tree, the rest of us are going to shake ours, so everyone shook the apple trees and our pear trees. Marcia’s black dress was covered with worms.

When we were finished shaking the trees one of us went over to ask Glen what the next step was.

Glen said, oh he was shaking the tree because Landon had been flying his drone and it got caught in the tree. That is why Glen was shaking his pear tree.

Monkey see, monkey do. But Teague is sure it is the worms that Glen was after and he is going to keep shaking the trees, since the worms are still hanging from the trees.

On the drone:
Landon has a drone and flies it from his porch, over the top of our house and to Dave Wood’s house. Dave is standing on his porch, puts out his hand and catches it. Then Landon flies it out, again, and back, but it got caught in the pear trees, so Landon wants his propeller out.

The drone came with three propellers. Now they are down to one which is somewhere in the pear tree.

On water balloons:
Covid-19 Home School in Grandma Wood's basement
... practising cooperation ...
In the meantime, Tim and Glen start throwing water balloons from the lower deck. I was catching them from the top of the porch, trying to throw them back to them. Landon and Piper came over to play water balloons as well, and soon I see Teresa under a table and only Landon and Piper are playing. There has been a fight between Teresa and Kalina. Maybe some water was thrown too fast or a person got hit in the wrong place or didn’t get a chance to hit someone else. If a parent thinks that a fight means that the water balloon game is a failure, they are wrong. There is never a water fight where someone doesn’t end up crying. That is how water fight ends.

With crying.

Kalina wasn’t the only one with hurt feelings.

Teresa went under the deck, played with sand and wouldn’t answer when she was called.

Sometimes parents think a child is lost when the child need some alone time, and won’t answer. That has to be sorted out.

We finished our brunch waffles at 1:30 pm. Marcia had to go to town, one teen ager was going, by time she gets in the car, 4 teenagers were going.
Kalina wants to watch Land Before Time, a dinosaur movie. I know it is on Netflix but I am not good with handling the controller. I try.

Zoe grabs it out of my hand and in three second she has the movie running on the screen.

I think I will make a nice afternoon for everyone. I say, “Kalina, would you like a Slurpee.”

Yes.

I go and find Charise who also wants to watch the show again and we use 7-11 Slurpee cups. What can be better than that. Then I go find Andrew, but the smell of BO is so strong, I open the windows, turn on the fan and say, “Please use your deodorant and I am making Slurpee’s.

He is in.

Tommy and Alicia are here for the weekend. I yell downstairs, “Slurpee’s?” and they say sure. So now everyone has their Slurpee.

Now it is 3 pm and it is quiet as a pin in the house. I am hiding in my bedroom. Moiya calls and I get on a three-way call with Arta. I tell her to blog the story about the worms, least I forget it.

Wyona

2 comments:

  1. what a perfect account of home-schooling and life. :-). Wish i were there to help shake the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wyona's account was episodic in nature. Life in a big family is best represented by a three-ring-circus, with performers jumping from one ring to another at any given moment.
    Wish I were there to hide in Wyona's bedroom with her and check out cubby holes for hidden caches of chocolate. There are always some, somewhere.

    My guess is that when you come, you will want to be quarantined to the pottery wheel.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.