Friday, May 29, 2020

My Opera Course

World premiere: Opera House, Zurich, 1937 
(unfinished version); Théâtre National de l’Opéra, 
Paris, 1979 (three-act version).
Lurene was taking an opera course last semester.  I wish I had known and enrolled with her.  I am sure Teague took one when he worked on his Master's Degree.

Now I am taking my course -- on line.  I enrolled without even knowing it.

The gift is that an opera streams on metopera.org every night, so no fees, only what you might want to donate. I have watched many night free.

Below is the list for the coming week.  Rebecca is going to be putting aside Tuesday to see Lulu again.

I am putting aside Thursday to see a 1978 filming of Tosca with Pavarotti.

He would have been at the height of his voice.  A miracle, that I can go back in time and her him sing.  I will pretend I am 38 again.

And a double miracle that I can stand in front of my screen and do my physio exercises at the same time, pushing my age into the future with good exercise.

Sachleen Kaur, PT gave me exercises.  I love how she works with me on Zoom.  I like it better than the real thing -- in the office, other patients there, a draft.  None of that here.  Just a good life.

Scroll through this list and then mark the day that you want to see 20 minutes or more of anything!

Week 12

Monday, June 1
Bellini’s I PuritaniStarring Anna Netrebko, Eric Cutler, Franco Vassallo, and John Relyea, conducted by Patrick Summers. From January 6, 2007.
Tuesday, June 2
Berg’s LuluStarring Marlis Petersen, Susan Graham, Daniel Brenna, Paul Groves, Johan Reuter, and Franz Grundheber, conducted by Lothar Koenigs. From November 21, 2015.
Wednesday, June 3
Gluck’s Orfeo ed EuridiceStarring Danielle de Niese, Heidi Grant Murphy, and Stephanie Blythe, conducted by James Levine. From January 24, 2009.
Thursday, June 4
Puccini’s ToscaStarring Shirley Verrett, Luciano Pavarotti, and Cornell MacNeil, conducted by James Conlon. From December 19, 1978.
Friday, June 5
Thomas Adès’s The Exterminating AngelStarring Audrey Luna, Amanda Echalaz, Sally Matthews, Sophie Bevan,  Alice Coote, Christine Rice, Iestyn Davies, Joseph Kaiser, Frédéric Antoun, David Portillo, David Adam Moore, Rod Gilfry, Kevin Burdette, Christian Van Horn, and John Tomlinson, conducted by Thomas Adès. From November 18, 2017.
Saturday, June 6
Verdi’s OtelloStarring Sonya Yoncheva, Aleksandrs Antonenko, and Željko Lučić, conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin. From October 17, 2015.
Sunday, June 7
Massenet’s ThaïsStarring Renée Fleming, Michael Schade, and Thomas Hampson, conducted by Jesús López-Cobo

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.