Sunday, May 24, 2020

In the Mood for a Fiery Crash

Stella (Vanessa Kirby) and Blanche du Bois (Gillian Anderson)
I made the mistake of waiting until the last minute to see the National Theatre's Antony and Cleopatra, and so I missed the performance.  

Not to have that happen with Tennessee Williams' A Street Car Name Desire, I played the show early in the evening yesterday.  I  wrapped myself in a blanket and a winter coat, which was a good idea, since for that 2 hours I hardly moved a muscle. 

I was telling Mary this morning that there is sexual violence in the play that is painful to watch and that she should probably prepared her children for it, if they are to watch it.  She said noted.  And she reminded me that they are getting older, almost adults.  I keep forgetting that.

I am going to watch it again.   These are a group of players who take on a play that has already been brilliantly performed (by Marlon Brando and Vivian Lee), and bring it forward.  

Well worth watching.  Streaming from May 21st for one week.

Gabriel Wilding reviews A Street Car Named Desire in the Hackney Citizen for those who want to read more.

As Wilding says, "a bumpy and glorious ride indeed, but one best not embarked on if you're not in the mood for a fiery crash."

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.