Sunday, May 10, 2020

Forgeries

“Can you send me a copy of your forgery?” 

This was my question to my siblings following Arta’s 80 birthday fest on Zoom. The 2 hour and 22 minute party uncovered some startling evidence. Many of Arta’s children purported to have letters written in Arta’s hand declaring them her favourite child, or better yet, her smartest child. Several even produced the said evidence.

Just to be clear and so the reader understands, wikipedia declares: “Forgery is a white-collar crime.”  With that knowledge, I, Sherlock Catherine decided to get to the bottom of this mystery.
I consulted Mr Google to learn the tricks of the trade. “How examiners recognize forgery," from Forensics for Dummies.




“Forgery typically is defined as writing or altering a document with the intent to defraud. Document examiners may be able to determine whether a document was altered or written by someone other than the stated author....but determining whether the writer’s intent was to defraud is left up to a judge or jury.”

I’ll present said evidence here and let you, the judge and jury decide.


 Submission #1

Here is a screen shot of Richard producing documentary evidence of said claim at the Zoom celebration.



Along with a copy below of said document, look carefully at the date of the evidence.  In case you can't read it--2018.  Also consider the credibility of someone whose background screen on Zoom is flowers.





Submission #2

Here is me producing said document at the Zoom celebration.



Check out the signature on my note. Everyone knows that the signature is the most important piece of evidence.  Also note the date--2019.


Submission #3

Mary’s claim came later in the evening with a twist. She dropped the bomb.  She has evidence from 2020 taking her out of the running as favourite child, but documenting that she is in fact the smartest child.



The evening drama has left me unsettled in so many ways. In an effort to get to the bottom of these claims, I sent the following text to my siblings.



I guess this takes me out of the running for smartest child, since I'm Nuts.
But just wait, here is more evidence in this drama.




Note that according to this text from the "smartest child",  no other children produced evidence of favouritism, so that leaves just me and Richard in the running for favourite child.....

until of course the other 5 siblings crack open their vaults.


Back to Arta’s signature.

Judges and Jury, please go back now and examine the signatures on Mary, Richard and Catherine's documents.   Here is a copy of Arta's actual signature.




“Even the most careful and gifted forgers leave behind evidence of their efforts. Examiners inspect documents not only with the naked eye but also view them under a microscope, which often reveals telltale signs of forgery.” This is just one more important piece of information from Forgeries for Dummies 

So now you, the judge and jury must decide—authentic or forgery.


I'm sending this additional google search info, mostly keeping it as a reference for myself, in case I need some legal advice in the future.




So as to be completely transparent, I did ask Arta for a copy of her signature,  to which she replied “See if this lines up with the one that Richard asked me for about an hour before I saw your message."

I've decided that Richard is back in the running for smartest child.

He reminded me to go back and look at his document carefully since in fact his “is more official.
It's got a seal.”
Duoh, why didn't I think of that.
He's always just one step ahead of me.


 Don't miss this incriminating text from Mary.



Smartest child will be difficult to decide. Check out Mary's shopping list of essentials. Anyone whose got candy on their essentials list during this Pandemic is in my mind brilliant.


Ultimately the most powerful evidence always surfaces after the fact.


“Each of you are my favourite. Thank you.” 
Arta from her blog post after the party.


For the rest of you, please submit your forgeries below.

Happy Mother’s Day Arta – to the mother who loved much.

 Love Catherine




 p.s.   An important note from Arta in case any of you are interested:


“Here is a better picture, with no shadow. I have no idea what you're up to.
Could I send my bank account number?” Arta
---------------
ADDENDUM from REBECCA (May 10, 11am PST)

I did not reply to Catherine's request for forgeries as I do not HAVE any forgeries.  I would never consider such a dastardly deed!

Nor do I think we should get into an unproductive and unhelpful debate about favouritism or brains.

After all, let us recall the important teachings of our forefathers, teachings that have been so often shared around the kitchen table.  I invite you to remember the the lessons captured in that heart-wrenching scene from Monty Python and The Holy Grail:  

"This is supposed to be a happy occasion Please! Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who" 

In any event, as I said, no forgeries here.   But I do have a few 'original documents'.  I did think it important that the rest of you know that Arta's love for me goes beyond words into the world of the material.   I just thought you should all know!  (p.s.  note the date?)


4 comments:

  1. Thank you. You have captured the intensity of the relationships between yourselves .,, and with me. I noticed in the Punishment for Forgery document that you produced, two of the social consequences for those who forge are "limited travel opportunities and difficulty finding emploment", which sound like social consequences of Covid-19 as well.

    All of you made me laugh, using skills on Zoom to pass glasses filled with liquid back and forth to each other, and even having ham that was cooked in Salmon Arm appear as though having been passed through the internet and onto a table in Montreal.

    I was exhausted from waves of happiness when my birthday party was over. And I was reminded of that same feeling while 6 of your were teen-agers. At least 3 different conversations going at any one time and all of you able to keep up with them all.

    I can remember going to bed and in my prayers telling God, look, if anyone dies between now and when I wake up, just let me get my sleep before I tackle the situation's aftermath. These are the years when I didn't ask anything of God. I was telling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose to have my contribution not hidden away in the comments, but added as an addendum to the text itself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was Rebecca able to edit my post -- that puts her ahead in the smartest child category.

    Sadly for her, I already moved into the world of the material with Arta's Rachel Doll - it's one of a kind. Pearl and scarves a plenty. (Said with my tongue in my cheek.)

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.