Saturday, May 16, 2020

How to Draw an Ampersand


I journeyed out to the internet to learn how to draw an ampersand today.

A few times I have needed one when I have been taking notes about something in my email.

This time I was looking at 8 book reviews Eric Jarvis had sent out to his family, and they had come from “Books & Arts”.

When I saw my ampersand, I thought, no one reading these notes in the future would know what that character is, the one that now looks like a treble clef, something I have practised many times.

No matter how I tried to change the look of it, a piece of musical notation was what I was getting, so out I went to “How to do “(anything ….)” in the bar that leads me to the internet.

I didn’t know there was such a place in the universe, a space to practise anything.

After a few tries, I could see I was following the wrong set if instructions.

Calligraphy and the ampersand are something entirely different than what I need.  Just a simple ampersand, please.


Finally, getting to the simplest of explanations and doing a lot of practise on the back of an old envelope near me, I think I have nailed it.

When I slowly read the last of the instructions, “make sure you cross the diagonal in the middle of the space between the tip of the bottom tail and the place where the top loop begins, otherwise the ampersand will look lopsided and uneven” that is the moment when my ampersand really went from treble clef to ampersand.

I am finding a lot of fun in all of these adventures into the universe. Who knew that I would be driven to practise that technique on this lovely May day.  Now to get outside and walk some pavement!

Arta

2 comments:

  1. I love the symbol ampersand. I learned of it during my Masters degree from my marvelous mentor Ron Channell. I just went searching on the interweb to make sure I had spelled his name correctly and learned of his passing. So young. Only 63 years old. Ron, I hope in the heavens you have access to pen and paper so you can continue to make your tiny lists that you keep in your well worn Sunday shirts. I will be looking to the heavens for ampersand in the clouds as let the tears of gratitude and loss slip down my cheeks. You were a quiet, gentle mentor who was loving & well-loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best church dress codes include well worn shorts and lists, though not on the cuffs of the shirts, please. Hard to know how loss will affect a person, Bonnie. I was just reading about grief and how because we are social creatures those we love are included in our circles. So when they die, it feels as though a piece of us is gone as well. I thought that was a telling articulation about loss and grief. At least one I have felt.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.