Friday, May 8, 2020

On lilacs and spending your first spring in a new place (a birthday post for my mom)

Something I've always just know was that my mom loves lilacs.  Now that I type that, I don't think I have ever confirmed with her that this is actually true.  We had a lilac bush in our backyard on 26th Avenue.  I often remember than when its flowers were in bloom, there was generally a bouquet of them in the house. And so, for my entire life, when I have seen a lilac bush in bloom, I have thought of my mother.  But beyond that, I have never paid much attention to them.

Our new house in Lethbridge has 4 lilac bushes.  This week when I was in the yard I notices new leaves had started to sprout and there were these weird clumpy things on the branches.  Upon closer inspection I was thrilled to realize those clumpy things were actually the flower buds.  And then I realized, not all the bushes had buds and leaves that were the same.  It appears I have 3 different types of lilacs.  I can not wait to see what types of flowers emerge -- dark or light purple, white, white with purple.

In this day and age, I know I could google it and figure it out, but I think I'll do it the old fashioned way.  Just wait.






1 comment:

  1. I never knew Arta's favorite was lilacs. I knew Wyora adored lilacs. The smell of the flower is so exquisite.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.