Thursday, May 28, 2020

Coming Up to the Covid Crisis or The Last Sacrament

I am trying to go back and set the scene for a new thread from some previous journal entries.

"The second last Sunday I went to church (April 12, 2020), I had trouble getting the sacrament cup to come out of the tray holder. I had to wiggle it back and forth. I have some peripheral neuropathy and I could feel my hand jiggling the other cups around it. That bothered me and that was what was on my mind during the quiet time of reflection around the sacrament.

The final church service  of the winter and spring, where the congregation got together was held the next week, April 29, 2202.  I like to call that day, The Last Sacrament. None of us knew that the next week, Mormon church services would be cancelled, all over the world.

When the sacrament was passed, I picked up the sacrament cup, but it tipped and I spilled it all over the tray, some splashing to the floor.
I thought to myself – I am getting old and this isn’t working.  I think this will be last time I take the sacrament.

I neither want it spilled all over the tray or to the floor. Better to just pass the tray on, or maybe not even to touch the tray at all.

During the previous two weeks, COVID-19 had been raging in Wuhan, China, and governments knew it would soon make its way around the world. When I reached in to take the piece of bread, I thought to myself, everyone on this row, and all of the previous rows have already put their hands either close to or touched the metal of the tray handle or have accidently touched the bread.

I thought, we have a practise here that is going to cause us trouble."

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.