Friday, May 22, 2020

I beg you, watch Turandot

 Turnadot is streaming on metopera.org until 4:30 MST.

I watched it last night.

I tried not to watch it today, but I turned it on to help Wyona figure out how to get the subtitles on and now I can't turn it off.

I turned the sound off so I could help her, and just the visual is so fabulous -- that opening scene where the father and Liu come wandering in through the masses of humanity, so to speak, milling around on the stage, fighting, doing acrobatics.

And when the little children come in singing looking like they have shaved heads -- oh, such sublime notes.


And the trio of men who act as a Greek chorus, sort of -- their antics and then later when dancers take their parts in the big rituals.

Oh my gosh, just the curved toes of some of the shoes, or the stance when a foot is out at a 45 degree angle.

I am loving the costuming, the rich silks and brocades.

And the head of failed suitors on posts.

Or the dancers holding sticks with masks.

If by any chance you run by this post this morning, which is now afternoon, take a look at metopera.org.  Just copy and paste that into your window, and there will be an option for "streaming now".

One of the good things is that when you listen to Liu do that aria in the first act, and it makes you cry, you can move the bar back and listen again, something the real audience can't do.  And for me, that represents a chance to cry again over the same aria.  Cue it up at about 32 minutes into the opera if that is all you have time to hear.  When that last note is sung, it is crushing.

My favourite place to go anytime of the week, but today?

Well sublime before 4:30.  And I have no idea what is showing after that.  For one thing, it can't be bad!

So, since I am wondering what comes next, the trouble is, all of them are good.  Tonight Don Giovanni, then tomorrow Gounod's Faust, then Massenet's Manon.

All glorious.  No wonder I haven't done my income tax, yet.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.